October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
nibbler

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by nibbler » 04 Oct 2014, 12:42

I've listened to conference in my second language for many years now. Overdub is the method they've always used. I guess this is the first time English speakers have been exposed to it. It really starts getting distracting when you know both languages.

They don't do subtitles because currently conference only has one feed that goes out to video, radio, and audio only streams. They're probably also factoring for the people that are not strong readers. I suppose in the future they could separate the feeds out; multiple subtitles and multiple language tracks?

Another note on overdubbing. Quite often in the past if a person speaks more than one language they will pre-record their talk in the other language (non-English in the past). When it's their turn to talk they overdub the audio with the pre-recorded version on that specific language channel so people get to hear the talk in the speaker's real voice, not the voice of the translator. Perhaps they could have done that in this case. If comfortable enough with English maybe they could have set it up such that Chi Hong Wong's overdub was in his own voice.

The people it really matters to aren't you and I so much, but the people that, for the first time ever, are getting to hear talks in conference in their native languages without being subject to the overdub. Now you can see what they've been dealing with for years. ;)
Last edited by nibbler on 04 Oct 2014, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

jaboc84

Post by jaboc84 » 04 Oct 2014, 12:49

Really only caught Uchtdorf's talk. I really liked it, he seems to be aware and thinking about those of us who struggle in their faith. I liked the analogy for absolute truth, but I wish all of us Latter-day Saints could accept we don't have all the right tools to know absolute truth. We can choose to believe what we believe, and spiritual experiences can even bear witness to those beliefs, but just because we have those experiences doesn't mean that is the standard by which all are to be judged. We may someday learn that belief in Christ and belief in Hinduism are not mutually exclusive, but they were both important parts to God's truth.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Oct 2014, 13:30

Elder Oaks' talk started out with a direct statement against gay marriage, but he then added things that I absolutely love, including:

1) If things become law that we don't support, we need to accept it.

2) We should not support discrimination based on sexual orientation.

3) We should not keep our kids from playing with non-member children, referencing it happening in Utah.

It's not going to be one of my favorites, but it's a LOT better than I thought it would be at first - and the second half was excellent.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Joni

Post by Joni » 04 Oct 2014, 13:47

DFU previously described the women's meeting as the first session of GC, but he introduced the Saturday afternoon session as the second. Which one doesn't count - last week or this morning?

I just got up and walked out. This talk about Joseph Smith is making me want to throw things. "The internet doesn't have a truth filter" so instead trust in the sanitized, correlated version of church history.

DH is mad at me for walking away, but I just can't get behind this one. How many wives did JS have, actually?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Oct 2014, 13:53

Elder Anderson's talk was a very traditional view of Joseph. That says it all.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Oct 2014, 13:54

Elder Callister is saying unequivocally that YOU are your children's primary Gospel teacher. He is not qualifying that in any way.

He also just said we cannot neglect our children by spending too much time on Church things.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Oct 2014, 14:02

Wow. Just wow. I'm going to have to let myself come back down before addressing one talk.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

West

Post by West » 04 Oct 2014, 14:24

I didn't get to listen/watch Elder Wong's talk this morning, but I'm watching the other non-English one right now (Spanish, I believe?) I don't mind the overdub so much, but I do wish that someday, if they continue with these types of talks (I certainly hope they do), they'll be able to switch to subtitles. I love that this is the new direction.

I've only caught a few of the talks overall so far. A few I'm struggling with, but there have also been many points I've appreciated or at least been able to...accept, I think is the word I'm looking for? It's my first conference post-FC, so this has been interesting.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. -Albert Einstein

And God said 'Love Your Enemy,' and I obeyed him and loved myself. -Kahlil Gibran

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Oct 2014, 14:25

Presently this is the Ouch session for me. Yes there a few sparkle pieces I can pull out, but the Joseph Smith talk just killed any family conversations for awhile. I kept wondering what Terryl Givens and Richard Bushman think of it. Terryl Givens said the Joseph Smith papers project would present a Joseph Smith we never knew. And Darn it - it can be found on the internet. WooBoy.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Oct 2014, 14:29

I am absolutely loving Elder Holland's talk about blessing the poor. he is being incredibly direct, and I love it.