October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

October 2014 General Conference

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Oct 2014, 09:18

I will not be adding notes live this time, but everyone else is free to add your comments and impressions. I will add mine later.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Oct 2014, 09:37

Although a bit dry, Elder Packer's talk about the Savior is good basic stuff.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

TataniaAvalon

Post by TataniaAvalon » 04 Oct 2014, 09:55

I really enjoyed Elder Packer's talk, we need more talks about the basic atonement. I felt bad for him though because he was obviously struggling. I didn't appreciate the one after that, the seventy I don't know the name. Seemed to be a retrenching of ideas sigh. The sisters talk was awesome though.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Oct 2014, 09:56

First non-English talk coming up. Unfortunately it's about the rescue. I don't like the reference to the one assigned to be rescued compared to a palsy.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Oct 2014, 10:21

Present favorites - Elder Packer (I didn't expect to have that) and the Sister E. - the one on the sacrament. Not loving Elder Christopherson's talk - I find the young adult references unfortuntate. I did enjoy Pres. Monson. He is like a super grandpa to me.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

mom3

Post by mom3 » 04 Oct 2014, 10:22

I think according to Christofferson's talk we should fight against correlation. It makes me lean on a program.

His wrap up wasn't bad. I give it a 6 out of 10.

I love Henry Eyring's voice. Yes. The Silver Fox is coming to the podium. Will he speak German?
Last edited by mom3 on 04 Oct 2014, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Oct 2014, 10:23

D'oh. I just looked at the clock. I missed most of this session. Looks like I'll be reading this session.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 04 Oct 2014, 11:00

So I was only able to catch the last talk. I'm a bit torn on it.

The part about going back to the past and having to explain to someone about modern technology and being disbelieved or even persecuted by people that are in a place where they are incapable of understanding (very loose paraphrasing).

I got the sense that this was aimed at the disbeliever, that they may currently be in a place where they can't understand but if they hang around for a while it will become clear. The problem is that I flipped it on it's head. That the info in the essays is in the church's future and members today will disbelieve and persecute the people that try to explain these things to them.

I was put off by a large section of his talk but I noticed that he was very careful to say the spirit would bear witness of spiritual truths, not that the spirit would bear witness of the truthfulness of the church. I'll have to eventually go back and rewatch the talk with that in mind because I wasn't enjoying the talk until I noticed that. Up until that point the talk had a "if you don't believe, stick around, you'll eventually see how we're right" vibe, which is the same old message that I've found off-putting in the past.
Last edited by nibbler on 04 Oct 2014, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 04 Oct 2014, 11:01

President Monson mentioned twice that we will be learning from the men AND women who speak. I appreciated that simple wording.

I really love it when President Packer focuses on Christ (really, on anything except sexuality in some way). This was a very good talk. About the atonement applying to the pain of the innocents: "Someone must pay for what was done to me. Someone already has paid." Also, "Gospel success will be measured by spiritual strength in ways that cannot be counted."

Elder Robbins: I don't like the unspoken connotations I am positive he had in mind, but I appreciated that he left them unspoken and dealt only with principles. Without the connotations, it actually was an excellent talk. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to remove the connotations. I also liked that he used Joseph smith as an example of screwing up.

Sister Esplin: Excellent talk about the sacrament. I LOVED the focus on "enabling power" and remembering blessings during the sacrament, not just on remembering sins and repenting of them.

Elder Wong: CANTONESE!!! Gave me chills, I have to admit. I love the change. The talk was about "The Rescue", but it was an wonderful way to frame and discuss it. I really liked the analogy of the man with a palsy being taken to Jesus to be healed.

Elder Christofferson's talk was another one that will be interpreted in multiple ways, since he focused on principles. Personally, I loved the focus on personal agency and the (overlooked, perhaps) implications that we are doing God's work here by encouraging people to find their own faith and act according to the dictated of their consciences while staying LDS. My favorite statement was near the end, when he said that we don't need to meet some minimum standard before receiving God's help.

Pres. Uchtdorf was President Uchtdorf. Seriously, another home run. What hit me hard this time is that he is BALANCED, and it shows in his talks. I really love the fact that he is, in some ways, the voice of the Church right now - since President Monson is not as vigorous as he used to be - and that he is the theological voice of the Church, since President Monson speaks almost always about service and love (and I love them both for that).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Oct 2014, 11:33

If I were to rank them in order of "please listen" to "give it a miss," I'd go with Packer first (really excellent, focus on Jesus Christ like a special witness ought to); Esplin (good explanation of the sacrament with some focus on Christ, although I would have liked it better had she relied more on her own thoughts as opposed to quoting other GAs); Uchtdorf (particularly toward the end and talking about how the church is a place for everyone and that he spoke about spiritual truths, not necessarily "gospel truth"); Christofferson (like Ray pointed out I did like the idea that we don't have to meet some level of obedience in order to get God's help); Robbins (mundane, actually almost dozed off); Wong (I did like the Cantonese but I didn't like the voice over and would rather have had subtitles, and while I see Ray's point about the analogy he was making with members helping Christ to heal, I did not like the implication that those who are to be rescued are somehow palsied, paralyzed, or broken - but maybe that's just me being overly sensitive). I don't list Monson because he really didn't say anything, it was the customary welcome speech and no new temples is not really a surprise. All that said, a year ago I probably would have left the room after Wong got going and would have likely missed Christofferson (which wouldn't have been all that big a deal, actually) and perhaps most of Uchtdorf.

My Introduction