October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
richalger

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by richalger » 06 Oct 2014, 04:03

I loved conference. But I also feel like I have moved past a faith crisis and am well into a faith refinement phase. (though I sometimes visit the crisis terrain)

Here are the talks that spoke best to me.

Jorg Klebingat - Sat afternoon, How to gain spiritual confidence. I really felt like this will help me grow where I want to grow.
Dieter F. Uctdorf - Priesthood session - open my eyes to where I am in my obedience, I loved the dandelion story.

All the talks about sustaining the prophet and President Monson pointing us to Jesus as our example. Somehow this contrast stood out to me. And my mind went to how Jesus always points to the Father. It feels so right that any person focused on such as the prophet or Jesus, that they should refocus our attention on another or correct principles. Rather than make it about hero worship. Even though we should worship God. The fact that God is humble or correct in directing our attention where it should be rather than empty hero idols; this is a reason why God is worthy of our worship.

I wonder how the Father handles empty hero worship when He receives it. Maybe he points us back to Jesus, since He is supposed to be our example. I am not sure how that works. I just thought it was interesting that President Monson didn't even acknowledge all the talks about sustaining him and that he focused on our Exemplar.

Also the fact that, from what I gather, no topics are assigned to the speakers in GC. They choose the topic with no input from anyone else.

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 06 Oct 2014, 13:47

I just watched Oaks and Holland's talks. Oaks was very good, a surprising message from him i thought, since he comes across as a hard liner to me. I was glad to hear how he feels about loving others, which is of course a very Christ centered message.

Holland's was amazing! I am so glad there are some leaders who still focus on and teach the true gospel. He's been hit or miss for me the last few conferences, but this was my favorite from him I've ever heard. I loved how he humbly admitted that he doesn't really know what it's like to be poor. I've felt that this message has been missing for a while, so I'm so glad he presented it at conference for all the church to hear.

meggle

Post by meggle » 07 Oct 2014, 09:22

Old-Timer wrote:President Monson's talk is wonderful. I really love that man.

The sentence that is going to show up on Facebook and other online places is:
Walking where (Jesus) walked is less important than walking AS he walked.
Haha Ray! I saw it on my fb feed this morning!

Ann

Post by Ann » 07 Oct 2014, 21:25

This conference has gotten me wondering more about exactly who hears/reads whose talks ahead of time. I know it's been described, but I've never paid close attention to the details.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

richalger

Post by richalger » 08 Oct 2014, 11:05

From what I understand, whoever is chosen to speak chooses what they want to talk about. I would guess that they give a transcript ahead of time to help translators perform better. Does anyone else know?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Oct 2014, 11:49

The talks are translated before conference begins. The translators are reading a script just like the person giving the talk. The translator's job is to make sure that they keep the same pace as the person giving the talk, that they do not get too far ahead or too far behind the speaker.

Only the prayers are translated live.

I don't know how far in advance the talks are written but certainly well enough in advance for the translators to pour over them for a while.

The speaker selects the topic.

I find myself curious as to whether the talks are vetted by some department or other to make sure they are doctrinally/legally sound.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 08 Oct 2014, 13:42

I was listening to Sister McConkie in my bedroom and turned off the radio. I didn't know my wife was in the hall listening. She asked why I turned it off and I kind of flipped out. I told her I got sick of hearing philosophies mingled with scripture and being told prophets can't lead us astray, etc. Wife wasn't happy about that. Sigh...

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 08 Oct 2014, 13:49

The talks are not vetted beforehand. Occasionally, changes are made afterward - prior to being recorded in print.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

richalger

Post by richalger » 08 Oct 2014, 13:53

Old-Timer wrote:The talks are not vetted beforehand. Occasionally, changes are made afterward - prior to being recorded in print.
Do you have a source?

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Oct 2014, 15:05

Shawn wrote:I was listening to Sister McConkie in my bedroom and turned off the radio. I didn't know my wife was in the hall listening. She asked why I turned it off and I kind of flipped out. I told her I got sick of hearing philosophies mingled with scripture and being told prophets can't lead us astray, etc. Wife wasn't happy about that. Sigh...
I had to go to the bathroom during her talk. ;) Seriously, one "follow the prophet" was plenty, two in a row was pretty unbearable. I was in a meeting yesterday where we discussed GC talks and each of us could talk about what we liked and why. I shouldn't have been surprised that hers came up early, but I was nevertheless disappointed. I did manage to keep my mouth shut and none of the others I deemed particularly negative came up. I put in two saying I had several but some had been mentioned, which was true. Mine were BK Packer and Monson's Sunday morning because of their focus on the Savior. In the discussion about Packer it was noted that his past two talks have been very testimonial and both have had a ring of farewell to them, which elicited a "he has seen the Savior" comment. :roll: I also liked Oaks which no one brought up so I left it alone.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction