October 2014 General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SunbeltRed

Re: October 2014 General Conference

Post by SunbeltRed » 05 Oct 2014, 11:37

I really really liked President Monson's talk. It was lovely and I felt uplifted.

Not my favorite session ever, but I will probably keep President Monson's talk close at hand.

-SBRed

jaboc84

Post by jaboc84 » 05 Oct 2014, 11:50

Dementia or not, I think President Monson hit a home run. Really a great talk.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Oct 2014, 12:25

I agree with all those who like Pres. Monson's talk, a home run indeed. I also liked Pres. Eyring's talk, I really do appreciate that he differentiated prophetic/apostolic revelation from that a bishop or stake president might receive which was further differentiated from personal revelation.
Last edited by DarkJedi on 05 Oct 2014, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

NewLight

Post by NewLight » 05 Oct 2014, 12:30

Great talk from President Monson - very good advice to follow.

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 05 Oct 2014, 13:11

Ray DeGraw wrote:bridget, read his talk. He took the extreme position on not supporting same-sex marriage - but he said we need to accept it and be gracious if it becomes the law of the land, and I think it's an acknowledgment that it will become the law of the land.

That is not a small step for a statement over the General Conference pulpit.
Thanks Ray. I agree that was good.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 13:17

You all probably will want to skip Elder Ballard's talk. It's going to cause heartburn, since it's a classically orthodox, traditionalist presentation.

The second half is better than the first half, and there are a couple of really good things in that half, but I still would recommend most of you skip it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 05 Oct 2014, 13:22

Amen Ray! Rough one.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 13:41

Elder Scott's talk is basic and orthodox, but I like the way he addressed it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2014, 13:54

I liked Elder Godoy's talk. It was personal and included the statement that making correct, good choices doesn't eliminate difficulty or lead to easy lives.

cwald

Post by cwald » 05 Oct 2014, 13:58

General conference has been too painful for me since October 2010. I do other things on conference weekend and only listen to select talks recommended by stayLDS/NOM friends.

I Iistened to Oaks and Holland Saturday afternoon talks this morning.

I thought they were good. Exceptional even. I'm not sure will get more universal message from mormons, especially in GC.

I just hope my TBM family members were listening, and that they will follow the teachings of their own prophets.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby