What I wish for Mother's Day

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: What I wish for Mother's Day

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 May 2014, 20:10

I can ask the woman who spoke if she has a copy of the talk I can share.

Missionaries should not be asked to talk on Mother's Day. Period. :wtf:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 May 2014, 20:19

Joni - I was the Stripling Warriors complainant. They seem to get dragged out in my ward every year. This year I attended my daughters young adult ward. I posted my experience because it was something out of this world. A new twist on those Warriors.

I am glad to hear that they are making the rounds in other wards, too. I would hate to be a Warrior hog.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 11 May 2014, 20:37

I hate the stupid stripling warriors thing. It's ironic because Mother's Day mostly exists because of women (especially sufragettes) opposing war. The conventional thinking was that if women were given the vote, we wouldn't have so many wars because women would not so willingly send their children off to kill other mothers' children. The holiday recognizes mothers of sons killed in war.

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 11 May 2014, 20:52

Ray DeGraw wrote:I can ask the woman who spoke if she has a copy of the talk I can share.

Missionaries should not be asked to talk on Mother's Day. Period. :wtf:
If it's possible Ray. If not no big deal. But thanks, I would appreciate it very much.

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 12 May 2014, 14:46

How about the ward choir singing "Praise to the Man". Youth speaker 1- Abrahamic Covenant and 2- Priesthood. Woman speaker on the Proclamation and attack on the family with a touch of Stripling Warrior.

Not a great Mother's Day here but we actually have never had one that I could remember. No Primary kids singing was a bummer.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908