What I wish for Mother's Day

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Joni

What I wish for Mother's Day

Post by Joni » 05 May 2014, 16:23

I was just thinking about my wish list for Mother's Day sacrament meeting. I'd like to see any or all of the following:

1. something said about Heavenly Mother other than "she is too special for us to talk about"

2. a woman to be talked about who is not the wife or mother of a prophet or other prominent LDS man

3. the closing speaker to be a woman

I'm laying the odds at 0%, 50%, and 0%, respectively.

What are you hoping for in your ward? What do you think will actually happen?
Last edited by Joni on 05 May 2014, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.

mom3

Re: What I wish for Mother's Day

Post by mom3 » 05 May 2014, 17:13

What I wish for - We would sing Oh My Father, because Heavenly Mother is guaranteed there. And in my area we never sing it.

I also hope and wish that the Stripling Warrior's Moms won't show up again. They visit too often. They are great ladies, but they need a break.

What I'd really love is Women's Day. It covers all Women - whatever circumstances they are in. We could have killer talks from Women in the Scriptures - From Angelic to the Prostitute who saved Prophets/Missionaries.

In the end sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" because Women are and have been the movers and shakers of the human family. And I'm not being feminist. Without women, none of this would have happened.

I have no odds on it. It will be same old, same old.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Joni

Post by Joni » 05 May 2014, 18:05

We actually sing O My Father almost every Mother's Day - it kind of annoys me that we always have to sing a song that's literally got the word Father in the title just because it's the only hymn that gives the least glancing reference to HM. Plus at the speed we Mormons tend to take it, that song is a death march.

We'll probably also sing Love At Home. That song makes me want to throw things. :wtf:

Ooh, I thought of something else I'll probably never see in my lifetime: a talk on motherhood delivered by a woman who works outside the home. :D
Last edited by Joni on 06 May 2014, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 May 2014, 20:39

Joni, fwiw, all three of your wishes have been part of quite a few of the Mother's Day services I've attended in multiple wards in multiple states for the last 10-15 years.

That might not be any comfort if you are in an area where they aren't part of the service, but I've heard at least as much from friends with similar experiences than from friends without it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 06 May 2014, 00:52

As one of the commenters said, "Best Mother's Day post ever!"

Thought people reading this thread would enjoy it:

http://bycommonconsent.com/2014/05/05/h ... thers-day/
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 May 2014, 03:28

FWIW, Joni, it's very difficult to say much about Heavenly Mother because we know almost nothing about her. Anything said would probably drive me nuts because it would of necessity be nothing more than speculation and supposition and not doctrinal. That said, I do understand where you're coming from and agree with your other two. I don't actually recall a talk in the places I have lived where the subject was the mother of a prophet or whatever. Ours do tend to be much more generic, and we do get woman speakers on Mother's Day. Music wise, I'm doubting we'll hear "O My Father" but I could be surprised. Primary will sing some song. I'm with Mom3, also - I'd like to see it be a Women's Day, I always feel for those who are not mothers and who are not going to be mothers in our ward. They are given the flower or whatever, but it's weird, actually. We have a couple older unmarried sisters who have never had children and we have an openly lesbian member.
Last edited by DarkJedi on 06 May 2014, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Joni

Post by Joni » 06 May 2014, 04:57

DarkJedi wrote:FWIW, Joni, it's very difficult to say much about Heavenly Mother because we know almost nothing about her. Anything said would probably drive me nuts because it would of necessity be nothing more and speculation and supposition and not doctrinal.
Exactly. It's total wishful thinking. Revelation about Heavenly Mother will only come from the top, and it will only come if we ask for it, which I don't see happening in my lifetime.

I'm sure we will have a woman speaker, but the final speaker will be a man. My ward has an abysmal track record when it comes to that.

Mothers Day Sacrament Meeting isn't a total wash, however. The Primary kids will sing (no matter how glurgy the lyrics, I always enjoy watching their faces) and the women of the ward usually end up with some form of chocolate. :lol:

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 May 2014, 06:56

Joni wrote:We'll probably also sing Love At Home. That song makes me want to throw things. :wtf:
:lol: For me the song is Called to Serve. Not because it's a bad hymn mind you, it's just that we sing it all. the. time. Me when they announce we're singing Called to Serve.

Ray DeGraw wrote:Joni, fwiw, all three of your wishes have been part of quite a few of the Mother's Day services I've attended in multiple wards in multiple states for the last 10-15 years.
Yeah, one thing I will say is that we regularly have women as the closing speaker. I do recognize that we're probably an outlier though. Still ever since they made that change a long time ago where one family gives all the talks in SM I've seen women give the closing talk more and more often.
mom3 wrote:I also hope and wish that the Stripling Warrior's Moms won't show up again. They visit too often. They are great ladies, but they need a break.
lol, good luck with that happening.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 May 2014, 15:08

Joni - As a Sunday appetizer, maybe you should hit the theater.

http://momsnightoutmovie.com/
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 May 2014, 20:39

"There is beauty all around, when there's no one home. There is joy in every sound, when there's no one home."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken