Skype Church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Skype Church

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Dec 2013, 14:09

Someone who lives in China made the following comment in a thread I have been reading. I thought everyone here would like to read it:
I attend church via Skype as part of the Central China International District. For the sacrament program they asked us all in advance to sign up to read various verses of scripture about the birth of Christ and alternated scripture readings with Christmas songs that ward members had volunteered to sing. Despite the various tech and sound issues it went wonderfully. We even had a beautiful rendition of “What Child is This?” accompanied by the ukulele in our apartment.The meeting was so peaceful and brought the Christmas spirit to so many of us who are celebrating Christmas in a place where it is not celebrated. Our branch has done such a wonderful job in helping us to have Christ in our lives this Christmas. Skype church really is wonderful. Because of limitations we keep everything simple and to the point and everything is focused on Christ.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mackay11

Skype Church

Post by mackay11 » 23 Dec 2013, 15:14

Thanks. This sounds like a really positive service.

I knew some "Skype Branch" members. I find the idea quite appealing sometimes.

Ilovechrist77

Re: Skype Church

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 23 Dec 2013, 18:52

That's wonderful. I didn't know some branches were doing that.

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 24 Dec 2013, 10:20

That does seem great. I am not sure where that would leave the members of my ward who notice if I am wearing nylons or where people are sitting in the chapel- the most righteous sit up front you know.

That was a snide remark, but truthful. I glad to see it works somewhere. I am jealous.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Dec 2013, 10:54

GodisLove wrote:That does seem great. I am not sure where that would leave the members of my ward who notice if I am wearing nylons or where people are sitting in the chapel- the most righteous sit up front you know.
Even when I make a point to show up early - The very back row is always taken. I guess I'll just need to content myself with evil mediocrity. :evil: ;)
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 24 Dec 2013, 18:05

Ha ha Roy, no worries for you. We open the over flow everytime. There is always room for the evil there. Come sit by us.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908