Full of Angst on Saturday night

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
GodisLove

Re: Full of Angst on Saturday night

Post by GodisLove » 29 Dec 2013, 00:39

I medicate with chocolate in my church bag ;)

You are not alone my friend!
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 29 Dec 2013, 07:38

Today I am thankful. I am thankful that my whole household is sick. We have a strong reason to stay at home. Viruses are good antidotes for church anxiety.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 29 Dec 2013, 07:42

Yes I am always afraid it may snow on Saturday making me want to ski on Sunday. Or come summer it is the best day to spend ridding your bike. I could really care less what they say at church it is just all opinion and anecdotal stories. Sometimes humorous sometimes inane. It is just the thought of what I might have to miss for three hours of tedium.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 29 Dec 2013, 11:48

SilentDawning wrote:Today I am thankful. I am thankful that my whole household is sick. We have a strong reason to stay at home. Viruses are good antidotes for church anxiety.
I'm in almost the same boat this week! Wife and baby are sick, which is enough to keep us all home to "keep from spreading germs."

I'm still curious to see if anyone has an answer to the OP's question about meditation. Doesn't anybody around here meditate? I don't but I often feel like I should and figured some of you probably would. It seems like a great supplement to one's spirituality.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Dec 2013, 12:10

I don't meditate in any official way, but I do take time on a regular basis to sit and contemplate and try to, "Be still." It could be seen as cleansing the inner vessel, if you will - and it has been a great practice for me.

I think our modern world encourages going full tilt all day and then crashing at night, and I don't think that's healthy.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 29 Dec 2013, 18:04

I meditate almost everyday...usually out on the porch or by the fire pit or burn barrel. I'll drink a beer, watch the sunset, and talk to the gods. And, sometimes, they will even talk back.

Which, btw, is exactly what I'm doing right this moment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Dec 2013, 18:58

I'll . . . talk to the gods. And, sometimes, they will even talk back. Which, btw, is exactly what I'm doing right this moment.

Ok, we will talk back. :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 29 Dec 2013, 19:09

Well, thanks. Maybe a little revelation from staylds would be good for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mom3

Post by mom3 » 29 Dec 2013, 19:13

Daeruin you asked
I'm still curious to see if anyone has an answer to the OP's question about meditation. Doesn't anybody around here meditate? I don't but I often feel like I should and figured some of you probably would. It seems like a great supplement to one's spirituality.
Yes I do. I was more consistent before December, but am moving back into. Today I meditated during Sacrament Meeting while the speakers were speaking. I find it helps my spirituality, my calm, my heart. I use Buddhist meditation methods. I tried a couple of others, but I prefer Buddhist style and purpose.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Harmony

Post by Harmony » 01 Jan 2014, 00:38

Thanks Mom3. Is there a particular book to reference for the meditation you use. I really do think it could be helpful to me.