Are you concerned about your personal/family salvation?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Are you concerned about your personal/family salvation?

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Dec 2013, 07:30

For those of you who are not full-fledged TR holders -- are you concerned about the eternal salvation of your family? Do you feel anxiety or concern that your family may not be together in the eternities? Or if you have no family in the church are you concerned you will attract some form of personal/individual damnation due to your unwillingness to live the gospel as a full TR-holding person?

A friend of mine asked me about this -- whether my mortality is bothering me since I'm not a full-fledged TR-holder any longer. I would be interested in your answers.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Re: Are you concerned about your personal/family salvation?

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Dec 2013, 07:51

I'd like to hear your answer, too, SD. I've actually gone through stages of this. When my crisis of faith began I was concerned. Later, as I became agnostic and nearly atheist, I didn't care because I didn't believe those teachings anyway. The truth is at this time I don't know. I'm not sure I accept all of the teachings of the church regarding salvation and exaltation (more particularly the latter). As scripturally taught, I do believe I am saved (I believe in Jesus Christ, I have been baptized, I accept him as my Savior, etc.). I don't believe in a hell of fire and brimstone, but I do believe there is a state of being that is hell - and I think that can even occur in the celestial kingdom (if such a place exists). Barring getting crushed by a log truck on my way to work tomorrow, I also believe I still have time to work this out, but it has taken a back burner to more pressing beliefs (like does God really exist, etc.) in the past. perhaps this thread will be of some assistance as I work through this - one of the things I love about this site and my friends here.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 01 Dec 2013, 09:23

If I am not saved then I will be with the other 99.9% of those that ever lived. Besides how many true believing Mormons with Temple recommends believe they are going to the Celestial Kingdom? I know when I was TBM I never thought I was good enough. It is only the over the top Mormons who actually believe they are going to make it. The church is set up so you doubt yourself to keep you motivated to keep trying harder to be a good Mormon to attain that celestial glory.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 01 Dec 2013, 09:29

It doesn't seem like an immediate concern to me right now. I'm sure that TB Mormons could quote all kinds of BoM scriptures that say not to procrastinate your day of repentence, but frankly, I don't see it as an immediate concern right now for me even though I am in my early 50's now.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 01 Dec 2013, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

cwald

Post by cwald » 01 Dec 2013, 10:59

No.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

church0333

Post by church0333 » 01 Dec 2013, 14:00

I look around church and it seems like I am doing about as good as most. There might be 5% that do everything they are suppose to and the rest are doing the best they can. If that 5% make up the CK then I think I would be more comfortable with the other 95% in the other kingdoms. I think God will judge us more by how we treat others and honor him then by the commandments the church puts out. I worry more about how I am going to handle the rest of this life than I do the next life at this stage.

cwald

Post by cwald » 01 Dec 2013, 14:05

church0333 wrote:... I worry more about how I am going to handle the rest of this life than I do the next life at this stage.
The end.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Dec 2013, 15:18

Yes, but not because I have no TR.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 Dec 2013, 15:58

I believe in a loving Parental God. I believe that relationships matter. I believe that I should do my best, both to be a good person individually and to help others become their own best selves. I believe that we will always be "works in progress." I believe that everything else will work itself out.
Last edited by Roy on 01 Dec 2013, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Dec 2013, 18:40

No, and it has nothing to do with my TR status.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken