Hawai'i SSM Bill Passes Both Houses, Will Become Law

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
turinturambar

Post by turinturambar » 12 Nov 2013, 18:07

The state of Hawaii has legalized same-sex marriage. The bill has passed both houses of the Hawaii legislature, and the governor, who has supported the bill from the beginning, is expected to sign the bill. The law passed with amendments protecting the religious freedom of clergy whose beliefs prevent them from solemnizing same-sex marriages:
(3) Protects religious freedom and liberty by: (A) Ensuring that any clergy, minister, priest, rabbi, officer of any religious denomination or society, or religious society not having clergy providing solemnizations that is authorized to perform solemnizations shall not be required to solemnize any marriage or civil union that is against their religious beliefs or faith, in accordance with the Hawaii state constitution and the United States Constitution; and (B) Clarifying that a religious organization or nonprofit organization operated, supervised, or controlled by a religious organization shall not be required to provide goods, services, or its facilities or grounds for the solemnization or celebration of a marriage or civil union that is in violation of its religious beliefs or faith.
I expect that the church's newsroom will probably comment on this soon.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Hawai'i SSM Bill Passes Both Houses, Will Become Law

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Nov 2013, 19:17

This seems like a good political bill, in the sense that it does something important for all involved, no matter which side of the issue someone might be on.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Re: Hawai'i SSM Bill Passes Both Houses, Will Become Law

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 12 Nov 2013, 19:30

:thumbup:
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 13 Nov 2013, 13:16

Ray Degraw wrote:This seems like a good political bill, in the sense that it does something important for all involved, no matter which side of the issue someone might be on.
I agree, to paraphrase our Articles of Faith, we believe in letting people live and worship how and what they will.

I hope the LDS TBMs remember that.