Combined Relief Society and Young Women General Meetings

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
journeygirl

Combined Relief Society and Young Women General Meetings

Post by journeygirl » 04 Nov 2013, 21:24

I didn't see if anyone else posted about this. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/f ... ewsroom%29

I think it's great, because it seems like they are trying to make it a real parallel to the men's meeting. (Priestesshood on the way. . . ? ;) )

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Combined Relief Society and Young Women General Meetings

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Nov 2013, 21:26

I just saw the announcement and was going to link to it. :smile:

I like the change. There really wasn't any good reason to keep the separation among the women when there wasn't the separation among the men - and I really like treating the young women like women in this way.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 04 Nov 2013, 21:41

Okay, I know I'm on a bit of a hair trigger, but why include YW, go to twice a year. . . . and then add the 8 - 11 year-olds? I think that there's a lot you can read into that in LDS culture, unless the plan is to have priesthood session be 8+ also.

That said, glad we're meeting with the YW.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Nov 2013, 22:09

I was interested in the fact that during the first 10 years of the general women's meeting, there only was one meeting - with everyone 12 and older. That changed in 1993, when the meetings were split into two different meetings. I like going back to the original format - and including all baptized female members.

I would love it if the Priesthood session changed to a male meeting and included all baptized male members - and I would appreciate it if this is the first move toward dropping the distinction of the men's and women's meetings as "holding the Priesthood", which making it a meeting for all baptized male members would do. I don't know if that will happen, but I think it would be a good change.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 05 Nov 2013, 00:55

I gotta say, I don't really see the point of this change. It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring a problem that does.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Nov 2013, 05:22

Ray Degraw wrote:I was interested in the fact that during the first 10 years of the general women's meeting, there only was one meeting - with everyone 12 and older. That changed in 1993, when the meetings were split into two different meetings. I like going back to the original format - and including all baptized female members.

I would love it if the Priesthood session changed to a male meeting and included all baptized male members - and I would appreciate it if this is the first move toward dropping the distinction of the men's and women's meetings as "holding the Priesthood", which making it a meeting for all baptized male members would do. I don't know if that will happen, but I think it would be a good change.
I remember when it was one meeting, too, and when they changed it. I thought one of the ideas of the change was to have fewer meetings for the sisters to feel like they had to attend. Frankly I don't think a twice yearly meeting was too much to ask, and I'm not opposed to this change even though I no longer have a young daughter at home. I'm not sure of the logic of adding younger girls, I know girls are different from boys but my boys were never excitedly interested in going to priesthood session and often slept. I usually try to get my wife to watch it at home, but she likes going to the church and the sisters usually have a social/dinner of some sort before. On the other hand, I quite liked staying home and watching the priesthood session on BYUTV. The men in our ward don't even do ice cream for the session anymore. I guess I wouldn't care either way if younger boys came to priesthood.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 05 Nov 2013, 07:45

I'm with Hawk. Seems like they are trying to put a bandaid on a wound that needs stitches. I am trying to see the positive in the fact they are at least addressing the situation.

As far as saving the women from attending another meeting...whatever. Where I come from, the more meetings the more righteous.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 05 Nov 2013, 09:29

This is one of those areas where a little transparency would be nice...just tell us why you did it. I know that's wishful thinking, and may introduce more discord, but it would help me. It continues to appear that the brethren recognize the need for changes in gender roles in the church, but they just can't let go of the residual cultural norms. Lowering the missionary age was one of those WTH! moments for me. I'm thinking, "You're going to bring the age for sisters down that far and not just make it the same as the guys? Really?" I'm just left to speculate about why, and my speculations just lead me to believe that the brethren are really struggling to let go of outdated cultural ideas. I've seen it in my father's generation in general. I have observed my uncles at the numerous family gatherings we've had over the years. The women all work in the kitchen together to prepare the dinner while the men watch or play sports, sit around and talk, etc. After dinner, the men return to what they were doing and the women clean up, do the dishes, put the food away, prepare dessert, etc. That's just how it is. It's always troubled me, and that's why things are different in my home.

That was a bit of a rant, but I just fail to see why the meeting age restrictions need to differ at all from priesthood meeting. And now that the meetings are broadcast, it seems even sillier to me. I think an age restriction of 8 at the actual meeting houses or conference center makes sense from a reverence standpoint, but if I watch it at home there's no reason my kids can't listen in if they care. I also think it makes sense that the actual conference center seating is offered to only men or women based on the meeting, since the seating is limited and it would be silly to give a guy a seat for a meeting directed to the women or vice versa. Regardless, I watched the women's broadcast on the couch with my wife this conference, and she watched priesthood meeting on the couch with me. It was wonderful to share that with each other and be able to discuss the things that we heard. I think I actually prefer that over being there in person.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Roy

Post by Roy » 05 Nov 2013, 10:55

hawkgrrrl wrote:I gotta say, I don't really see the point of this change. It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring a problem that does.
***Like***
Life_Journey_of_Matt wrote:is is one of those areas where a little transparency would be nice...just tell us why you did it. I know that's wishful thinking, and may introduce more discord, but it would help me.
My personal conspiracy theory is that the church cut paid janitors because of all the hassle of keeping up with OSHA, Healthcare reform, workman's comp, and other employment laws. Especially in the outlying areas it would be expensive and time consuming just to monitor all these things. I personally think that these are really compelling reasons for the change. The reason we are given is that the membership needed the blessings and sense of personal pride associated with cleaning their own buildings. I'm not buying it. :twisted:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 05 Nov 2013, 12:55

I see what some of you are saying. I guess to me this sounded good because, during the ordain women thing the response the church gave to them as to why women couldn't attend priesthood session was because it was for men and there was a parallel meeting for women. But it doesn't take much to see how the woman's meeting was not a parallel. So this seems like they are trying to fix some of those issues to make it more of a true parallel.

However, I am also unsure about why they are adding 8-11 year olds. I guess since it said they are having the primary presidency a part of it then that could explain it, but it does seem weird to me too. The other thing I wonder about is who will be speaking. It could be just the president of each organization (RS, YW, Primary). But the men's meeting doesn't go that way, so is it just another meeting where men will talk to women?