In Praise of Cafeteria Mormonism - Patheos article

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ann

Post by Ann » 04 Nov 2013, 19:46

"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: In Praise of Cafeteria Mormonism - Patheos article

Post by Heber13 » 04 Nov 2013, 20:05

Great article Ann. They worded it very well, which seems so logical and common sense when you step back and see things in clear light. But that is not what the "fully immersed" are often able to accept.

I like this quote:
Those who take an all-or-nothing approach select verses like this (and there are many more) to validate their perspective.
But that’s just the point—everyone selects the verses that will bolster their position. Everyone does this, not just the “liberals” on the one hand or the “fundamentalists” on the other. Every great religious tradition, Mormonism included, is “internally plural,” in the words of religion scholar Scott Appleby. As he notes, “religious communities, in their self-understanding and in their orientation to the word, change constantly.”
Its just the way it is. Catholic, Muslim, and yes...even the restored gospel of Mormonism.

Some might also think this is heresy...but the point is a good one:
In other words, Jesus was a cafeteria Jew. He took a helping of everything at the buffet, but piled his plate high with the things he deemed to be best.
So what is the difference between the liberal cafeteria approach and the orthodox cafeteria approach? Would orthodox members say that there is a truth out there, and so they choose those scriptures that affirm the collective teachings, whereas the orthodox members criticize liberals for selecting scriptures or interpretations that are less common to the collective teachings? So both are choosing, but orthodox criticize liberals for deviating from norm?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 04 Nov 2013, 20:53

I think the only real difference is that Cafeteria Mormons admit they are.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Nov 2013, 21:22

I agree with Hawk. The only conceptual difference is self-awareness of what one is doing.

I really like the article.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 05 Nov 2013, 10:24

Heber13 wrote:Some might also think this is heresy...but the point is a good one:
In other words, Jesus was a cafeteria Jew. He took a helping of everything at the buffet, but piled his plate high with the things he deemed to be best.
It's a great point. Speaking in denominational terms, I heard Father Richard Rohr (Catholic) say,
Christ didn't come to establish Christianity. He came to reform Judaism.
I love the perspective.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Nov 2013, 10:52

I've heard it said that Paul was the first Christian, since he was the one who prompted the opening of the doors officially for non-Jews to be baptized without the need for circumcision. Before that, "Christians" merely were a unique sect of Judaism - no different, organizationally, than the Nazarenes and the Pharisees. Interestingly, it was Paul's "agitation" (albeit, through a vision) within the top counsels that caused the change. (I see the situation with a few leaders and historians in the LDS Church doggedly focusing on researching the Priesthood ban issues as following the same model, and that is interesting in and of itself.)

I think there's a lot of truth to that idea that Paul was the driving force behind creating a new, non-Jewish religion, and I think it bolsters the point that Jesus was not a Christian; he was a Jew. In that light, he absolutely chose and focused on the aspects of what he considered to be "pure religion" and ignored (with explanation) what he believed to be cultural (even within the law, like gathering food on the Sabbath).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 05 Nov 2013, 11:37

As he notes, “religious communities, in their self-understanding and in their orientation to the word, change constantly.” Over time, those accumulated changes create a “storehouse of religiously approved options” that are available to believers and leaders. This is not to say that religious traditions have no solid position on anything. Quite the contrary, it’s that with the accumulated wisdom of any given tradition there are multiple solid positions on virtually everything.
This reminded me of the quote of the day thread! :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 05 Nov 2013, 11:52

Awesome article, thanks for sharing.

This, this, this:
In Christ’s cafeteria, your plate might look a little different than mine. But so long as we pay the price of admission and partake from the same buffet, there’s no reason we can’t all sit down and enjoy the feast together.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/peculiarpe ... QbfVE.dpuf