Are You a Liberal Mormon?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Haven

Re: Are You a Liberal Mormon?

Post by Haven » 01 Nov 2013, 20:32

I didn't have the pleasure of reading the article, probably a good thing I didn't. I love that Stay LDS is a safe place where we can find balance and humor in such a black and white church. I don't post very often but I do read the posts as often as I can. Thank you for showing that we don't have to buy into other people's views. Had I read that article I would have been a mess, but the posts here remind me that everyone has a different perspective, and some perspectives are just goofy and I don't need to believe the goofy ones. So thank you everyone for making this site an amazing sanctuary. :clap:

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Nov 2013, 05:02

I fear for Ray's daughter. Perhaps we should withdraw all missionaries and members from Europe (although the latter group is suspect too). I'm very suspicious of all Euro Mormons.

Jesus himself said -
"Let (s)he who is without sin cast the first stone"

I fear she is guilty of some of the things she accuses us of, i.e. belittling alternative takes and considering them Satanic. To Hell with the Devil!

We must be a broad church. Not too broad as to be stupid and tolerate everything, but broad enough that we don't end up a robotic cult. Even the GAs have a variety of opinions and beliefs.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Nov 2013, 05:13

Forgot to say the only thing worse than going to Europe is visiting Canada... nooooooo!!!

They might look like Americans, and sound slightly like them, but nearly the entire north of their country backs onto Russia, and has done since the Russian Revolution, many of them speak French and that's all we need to know.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Nov 2013, 12:24

Thanks for the laugh, SamBee. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Nov 2013, 14:09

Didn't Mitt Romney serve his mission in France? Hmm.... And worse still Romney Sr served his mission in Scotland.

Got to keep a handle on these Euro Mormons...

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 Nov 2013, 20:19

Apparently we have to especially look out for the likes of Pres. Uchtdorf. Worse than just going to Europe, he's actually European! :D I don't think he'd agree with much of what she said. Dang liberals!
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 02 Nov 2013, 22:02

This article was a train wreck, but for me the worst part was that she proudly proclaims she is a RS president. What kind of RS president is she?? New Relief Society motto: "Charity utterly faileth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Nov 2013, 22:51

she proudly proclaims she is a RS president

Therein might lie part of the problem, and I mean that completely.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 03 Nov 2013, 08:00

Paul, Peter and Andrew etc all visited Europe too. Paul even wrote letters to them.

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 04 Nov 2013, 10:08

Based on the article, Joni is almost surely one who interprets Elder Uchtdorf's statement the way that I feared many would. When he said "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith," she seemingly heard "Doubt is bad! If there's anything in the church you don't go along with, repent!"

I think some people just need someone to tell them exactly what to do so they can pat themselves on the back when they display perfect obedience. I, for one, feel MORE lost when I apply blind obedience. Obviously there are many principles in the church that I have lived, and they have taken hold in my life, but there are many that I've lived that I feel completely indifferent about, and some I have grown to disagree with and/or fail to see as necessary.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/