Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Life_Journey_of_Matt

Re: Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 04 Nov 2013, 15:53

The denial of my disillusionment stopped about a year ago. I have grown to love the podcasts because honestly sometimes I just need to hear a voice of reason, especially after a particularly drab week. I'm attending church regularly, I listen to conference, I'm steeped in TBM culture, and sometimes it really helps to hear someone else's voice saying the things that I've been thinking but can't express in meetings. It's kind of the reassuring "you're not alone" that I get from this forum, but with a refreshing face to the names. You know...a bit more of a human connection. In a way, they are often the filler for the SM talks that didn't go over so well for me.

I have dabbled in a few different ones, but John Dehlin and his work on Mormon Stories has been the most heavily trafficked by me.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

greenapples

Re: Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Post by greenapples » 06 Nov 2013, 02:11

DBMormon wrote:I am curious here to your perception of how LDS podacasts have effected your spirituality and your testimony.
There are multiple podcasts out there
MormonStories
MormonMatters
MormonExpression
Athoughtfulfaith
and of course mine MormonDiscussion - http://mormondiscussion.podbean.com

Some are more faithful then others but each seems to validate the person struggling with reconciling the larger more complex narrative.

1.) Have these been a help to you in keeping your faith?
2.) Have they increased your spirituality?
3.) Have they increased your testimony of the restored gospel?
4.) Please don't flatter me, what do you see as your favorite? why? What is it about that particular podcast that keeps you tuning in.

Bill Reel
1.) Have these been a help to you in keeping your faith?

I have listened to most of these podcasts at least once. I feel that these podcasts have aided me in treading water. I stumbled upon the Mormon stories podcast during the hardest times of my faith issues. I had also been studying psychology in school and the Fowler Stages of Faith I felt help me come to terms with what I was going through. I appreciated the fact that many Mormon podcasts including Mormon stories brought up the Fowler Stages of Faith.

2.) Have they increased your spirituality?

I feel that they have aided me in knowledge and coming to terms with some of the faith issues I had. Once I began to sort things out I was able to find peace and relax. I don't feel that I am any more spiritual from any podcast.

3.) Have they increased your testimony of the restored gospel?

No. I once went from claiming that I knew everything about the restored gospel was true. I claimed knowledge. After the faith issues I came to realize that I do not know anything. I have faith in certain aspects of the religion. Perhaps that faith might grow further as time goes on. I don't know for sure at this point.

4.) Please don't flatter me, what do you see as your favorite? why? What is it about that particular podcast that keeps you tuning in.

<greenapples tangent> I don't feel that I have listened to enough mormondiscussion to really have good feel for what it is about. I only listened to the Transitional Phases of Faith episode. For some reason this episode cut out 9 minutes early. The 21 minutes that I did hear seemed interesting at first but then I found myself disappointed. Based on what I heard I was a little annoyed with the fact that there was this attempt to shorten, cut and remodel the Fowler stages of faith. It seemed to me that this alternative blue, red and green phases didn't tell the whole story. It seemed like something straight out of an institute lesson. It seemed to me like the blue phase was Fowler Stage 1. The red phase was the painful transition between 1 - the tail end of 2 and the green phase was Fowler stage 3 where you still attend church, have a testimony but begins to decide to think on their own. Perhaps there was some Fowler stage 4 traits found in the red phase but It totally missed the portion of stage 4 where there is peace found outside of religion. It didn't really address the fact the there is some much to be learned outside of religion. The Green phase totally misses out on the fact that there can be a wonderful happy form of faith where one does not need to have a literal belief of religion but rather a strong appreciation for what it stands for and the good that it can do for others. Then again the last 9 minutes was cut. Maybe within those 9 minutes it totally does address those things. Once those 9 minutes have been restored I can come to a true opinion of that particular episode.

Out of all the other podcast choices I find MormonExpression to be a little more entertaining. There is a topic of discussion with a panel of people having a group discussion. I find Mormonstories to have more information. Even with a Superior sources of information Mormonstories has a tendency to be long winded. There is almost always multiple hour segments within each new episode. To listen to an entire episode I have to give up multiple hours. Luckily with upgrades of technology since the start of my journey I now have the ability to download the long episodes and put them on an mp3 player. I can listen to them on a nice long walk. I guess it is safe to say that Mormonexpression and Mormonstories are my favorite flavors of the Mormon related podcasts when I want to listen to them.
GREENAPPLES IS REDCROWN27