Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DBMormon

Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Post by DBMormon » 26 Oct 2013, 10:16

I am curious here to your perception of how LDS podacasts have effected your spirituality and your testimony.
There are multiple podcasts out there
MormonStories
MormonMatters
MormonExpression
Athoughtfulfaith
and of course mine MormonDiscussion - http://mormondiscussion.podbean.com

Some are more faithful then others but each seems to validate the person struggling with reconciling the larger more complex narrative.

1.) Have these been a help to you in keeping your faith?
2.) Have they increased your spirituality?
3.) Have they increased your testimony of the restored gospel?
4.) Please don't flatter me, what do you see as your favorite? why? What is it about that particular podcast that keeps you tuning in.

Bill Reel

Orson
Site Admin

Re: Podcasts and their effect on spirituality and Testimony

Post by Orson » 26 Oct 2013, 12:51

DBMormon wrote: 1.) Have these been a help to you in keeping your faith?
2.) Have they increased your spirituality?
3.) Have they increased your testimony of the restored gospel?
4.) Please don't flatter me, what do you see as your favorite? why? What is it about that particular podcast that keeps you tuning in.

Bill Reel
Obviously some podcasts of any site are more interesting or helpful than others. I have not been drawn to MormonExpression more than a couple times. In general I am not one to see outside influences as having a significant effect on my faith. My faith is my personal understanding, it can be shaped but since I have begun the process of rebuilding I am extremely careful about the grade of granite that I use in its construction. In other words it takes form very slowly and what is formed is not going anywhere easily - listening to diverse opinions has no effect on my personal beliefs.

1) yes they have been a help to me in expanding my views and learning about how my spirit siblings see things, but little direct effect on "my faith"
2) yes they have provided food for thought that has helped me grow my spirituality
3) yes they have helped me understand ways to define "restored gospel" to place it in the most positive light and seek after righteousness
4) Striking Mormon Expression from the list because I have not listened to it enough to say - I like all of them at different times depending on the guests and topic. I am drawn to topics such as what Terryl Givens covered in your recent interview, that was tremendous.

You can see I'm bucking a little at the wording of the questions and possible assumptions that the wording may imply. In my mind this comes from what Terryl G. was saying about true testimonies not being fragile things, and not being shaped by external forces. If they are then in my mind they are built on sand.

All that being said I do think there is a place for "traditional" friendly discussion, and your podcast can fill that space very well. I recognize most members will view things very differently from myself, and they may be offended more easily. Keep up the good work!
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Oct 2013, 14:57

I like and appreciate anything that makes me think and consider new subjects and perspectives. Therefore, I really like the concept of podcasts and support the ones I believe are enlightening and helpful. At this point in my life, however, I'm not drawn much to podcasts, since my online life is pretty full with the other things I do already.

Seriously, making sure my personal blog posts something new every day but Sunday, participating here extensively and checking a few other places daily, doing job searches and networking stuff, etc. simply leaves me no time I am willing to spend on podcasts right now.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 26 Oct 2013, 15:16

Like I said at NOM, if you are going to have a discussion of mormon themed podcasts, you need to include Infants on Thrones.

Best Mormon podcast going, IMO.

Why do I like IOT podcast.

Blunt honesty, good mix of faithful and NOMs and post Mormons...and just never afraid to call out apologists and call a spade a spade...mental gymnastics be damned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 26 Oct 2013, 20:09

cwald wrote:Why do I like IOT podcast.

Blunt honesty, good mix of faithful and NOMs and post Mormons...and just never afraid to call out apologists and call a spade a spade...mental gymnastics be damned.
Extending this line of thought what I really get into are discussions that basically assume everyone already knows that the spade has been unveiled, and then the magnifying glasses come out -- can we find anything about this spade that we didn't notice before? Is there anything that will stand out if we shine a new light on it or approach it from different angles?
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 03 Nov 2013, 15:11

Every podcast, except for Mormon Expressions, have helped my testimony and spirituality grow. Mormon Expressions have made it much harder for me to want to stay in the church. The Facebook groups based off those podcasts are too much for me. Too many negative posts and comments that show up. I haven't listened to those other podcasts in a while, but those three others I've always enjoyed.

cwald

Post by cwald » 03 Nov 2013, 16:56

Ilovechrist77 wrote:Every podcast, except for Mormon Expressions, have helped my testimony and spirituality grow. Mormon Expressions have made it much harder for me to want to stay in the church. The Facebook groups based off those podcasts are too much for me. Too many negative posts and comments that show up. I haven't listened to those other podcasts in a while, but those three others I've always enjoyed.
I agree with your ME Facebook comment. Even John kiboshed ME Facebook, and started over this Fall. I didn't bother to sign back up.

I do enjoy the ME podcast however...especially the old stuff with more balanced group on the panel...the good old guys with George, Tom, Glenn, and even Nyal and Tannahill

Last edited by Anonymous on 03 Nov 2013, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Nov 2013, 17:48

Yeah, the good old gays are the best gays. :lol:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 03 Nov 2013, 18:13

:-)

Fixed.

Damn auto correct.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 04 Nov 2013, 14:00

Oh, yeah. I agree with you there, cwald, about the old ME podcasts. I was just referring to the episode where John Larsen got out of hand when discussing with a man from the church about Ezra Taft Benson's talk on Fourteen Fundamentals of Following the Prophet. The way he expressed himself didn't set very well with me about Mormon Expressions after that.