Do we have a "Serve where placed" model of service?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Do we have a "Serve where placed" model of service?

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Oct 2013, 09:40

I was wondering what you thought of this -- do we have a "serve where placed model" in the church? A model where you serve where asked to serve with very little choice in the matter, other than to refuse the calling (sometimes, at the loss of personal reputation)?
I would like to know your thoughts on this. Obviously, I believe this is probably truer than many of us would like, but I don't want to assume that. What do you think?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Re: Do we have a "Serve where placed" model of service?

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Oct 2013, 09:52

Absolutely.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 Oct 2013, 11:18

Yes! Serve where assigned model.

I also feel that we are discouraged from taking complete ownership of the calling in the sense that we think outside the box.

Use the manual and the scriptures, don't use outside sources, follow the lesson outline.

I realize that this varies depending on local leadership but overall I think tradition is more highly prized than innovation.

Ray, you are the exception that proves the rule and I love your class!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 10 Oct 2013, 12:48

I had a TBM recently explain their take like this in an email (listed below, followed by my thoughts.)
Church callings keep us serving. They give us a reason to be there. It is not that it is an unwritten law, but it is a necessary one for most of us.
In our church, we don't have paid professionals. We have real people doing the best they can do to teach and preach and keep things running.
  • 1. What if I don't feel like I need the church constantly telling me who's deserving of my service? Is my service really best spent crunching the church financials for free, or scheduling meetings, or cleaning the toilets? Why can't I make that call based on my own intuition? It could be my elderly neighbor who sits on her porch for hours hoping someone will stop and talk. It could be my own family that I've been neglecting in my efforts to "build up the kingdom." It could be the people at the local shelter...and on and on.

2. If I need a calling to get my butt to church I'm probably not getting much out of it anyway. I don't think meaningful communion with God can be compelled.

3. Sometimes I have a hard time knowing exactly what it is I'm trying to keep running. Often it feels like just another earthly organization to me. Father Richard Rohr of the Catholic faith made an interesting observation about his own church that applies to most organized religions. To paraphrase, he says when you think about the church organization as an entity, it needs you to need it! (this can be even more so with paid clergy, obviously) If the church didn't make people feel like they needed it, they wouldn't participate and it would shrivel up and cease to exist. He then goes on to say, very humbly I might add, that when someone is in touch with God (which is what he tries to help people do), they don't need the church with all its candlesticks and creeds. The trouble is, he says, that the church is actually one of the best tools for helping people get to that point. Intriguing stuff in my opinion.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 10 Oct 2013, 12:51

Yes.

Even one of the speakers in General Conference mentioned that sometimes we volunteer and sometimes we are volunteered.

Having said that, it doesn't have to be that way all the time. We also are told not to be commanded in all things and to do much of our own free will and choice. Most people, however, default to the idea that they are doing enough if they are doing what they are asked to do - which, I believe, is one reason the counsel I just quoted is in our scriptures.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 10 Oct 2013, 16:54

Church = yes ... same as everyone above has said.

Me = Hell No! I accept and deny callings as I see fit. When I accept them, I follow the rules that are written. If it ain't written, it ain't a rule. For example: The 11-yr old scouts has a rule regarding 3 camp outs a year. Most interpret that to 3 campouts in the boys' year. What do I say - nope, 3 campouts in a year. So if I plan the campouts right, I can get 4-5 for each boy before they are 12. Some only get 3, but most will get the 4-5. I figure out what "my year" is going to be by looking at the boys in/out dates. Then I plan the campouts so that there are only "3 in that year" for that boy. 2013 will only have 3 campouts, and 2014 will have 3 campouts for that boy. Make sense? It is within the "rules", but also gets the boys out camping. That is generally what they want to do anyway.

So I'll repeat that "serve where placed" is a no go for me personally.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 10 Oct 2013, 16:55

I cussed - so if it shouldn't be there, please remove. I can't remember the rule ... sorry!

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Oct 2013, 17:44

Do you think this "serve where placed" model creates more good in terms of personal growth and acheiving the church's mission simultenaously than an approach that provides more choice on the part of the callee? (I realize we have a choice to say Yes or no, but I think most would agree it creates a stigma if you say "no" too often or at all for certain callings. I'm talking about more choice about where to be called before a call is extended).
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 10 Oct 2013, 17:48

SilentDawning wrote:Do you think this "serve where placed" model creates more good in terms of personal growth and acheiving the church's mission simultenaously than an approach that provides more choice on the part of the callee? (I realize we have a choice to say Yes or no, but I think most would agree it creates a stigma if you say "no" too often or at all for certain callings. I'm talking about more choice about where to be called before a call is extended).
Oh, I see. I'm not sure how much "choice" we have in being offered a calling. That is up to the leadership.
I do think you can influence it. I have by stating very clearly that I will only work with the Boy Scouts (Pack, Troop, Crew, Team). This helps them to know what calling I will accept and to not even think about others.

In another thread it is talking about "inspiration"... Well - I "inspire" them to the calling that I will serve.

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 10 Oct 2013, 20:35

For those who are unquestioning or those who question but hide it to avoid making waves, we have more of a "Serve where placed model of servitude."

[Addition]: Law of consecration feeds into this.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/