General Conference October 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
mackay11

Re: General Conference October 2013

Post by mackay11 » 06 Oct 2013, 12:29

Thanks for the summary Ray. We were having to travel during the Sunday morning session (different time zone). The afternoon session will also be a bit too late for me.

QuestionAbound

Post by QuestionAbound » 06 Oct 2013, 14:10

I missed the speaker's name who just spoke during the Sunday afternoon session...the one about attending church on Sunday...am I the only one who cringed at his words? Not because I'm feeling guilty, but b/c I think he is off the mark a bit?
I sort of felt like he was speaking from "old school" mentality...a contrast from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk.
:?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Oct 2013, 15:14

Yeah, I didn't get much from that talk - but I also wasn't surprised by it. A LOT of members feel that way, and it actually helps them, so it is what it is.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Oct 2013, 15:16

Frankly, I thought the sessions were progressive in order of power and importance for me personally - starting with the high note and sliding downward from there to a truly mixed bag. I'm glad it happened in that order, since the high of the first session helped mitigate what might have been the stronger disappointment of the other sessions - even though I enjoyed other talks in other sessions, as well.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Oct 2013, 16:14

I forgot to add something I thought was very interesting from the last session:

In Elder Andersen's talk, I thought he was honest but careful in his wording about why only men administer Priesthood ordinances (outside the temple).

First, he actually acknowledged the question openly and explicitly. That alone is important.

Second, he said that there are a lot of things we know and some things we don't know. He said that explicitly.

He then listed things we know - and, taken as a whole, they amount to, "That's the only model we have had throughout history, and we haven't had any direct revelation from God to change it." (Those are my own words, not his.)

He never said it is because it is the will of God, and he never said it cannot change in the future.

I'm not holding my breath that it will change soon, but I thought it was interesting that he absolutely didn't close the door to or deny that possibility - that his answer, while carefully worded, was honest in discussing what we know about such a restriction.

Frankly, that's a larger step than most people understand, I think - even, again, as I don't expect a major change in the immediate future.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 06 Oct 2013, 16:31

QuestionAbound wrote:I missed the speaker's name who just spoke during the Sunday afternoon session...the one about attending church on Sunday...am I the only one who cringed at his words? Not because I'm feeling guilty, but b/c I think he is off the mark a bit?
I sort of felt like he was speaking from "old school" mentality...a contrast from Pres. Uchtdorf's talk.
:?
I heard that talk on attending church from a distance. It also made me cringe. It was a hard-line talk on attending all three meetings, even on vacation. Church attendance at the expense of all other priorities. I spent the time hoping it doesn't spawn judgmentalism in my daughter for those times I have had to stay at home to work on assignments (I got to school in addition to working full time and all the other responsibilities of life).

Comments like "you just can't pick and choose which meetings you attend"....the kind of compulsion you get to attend meetings when there appears to be little given in the way of trying to make those meetings more interesting.

However, as Ray says, there is a strong percent of the population that gets a real kick and sense of peace out of showing that kind of commitment.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Life_Journey_of_Matt

Post by Life_Journey_of_Matt » 08 Oct 2013, 08:53

Elder Nelson:

(Sunday afternoon session)
We spent the entire day on Sunday over at the house of a couple we are close friends with. We watched all of Sunday conference there. In going through the comments, I didn't see anyone mention this talk, so I thought I would mention it. You may want to skip it if you get agitated easily. Toward the end of the talk I had to get up and leave the room so I could keep my cool.

The first majority of the talk I was fine with. To summarize:

We are all children of God.

We are dual beings, spirit and body. His experience as a doctor, and the miraculous qualities of the body.

Coping with physical challenges. We are given weaknesses to make us humble. Aging process and death are a necessary part of the plan.

Our body is a temple. We have to decide how we will use it and this will affect our eternal destiny.

1. How will we care for and use our bodies?
2. What spiritual attributes will we choose to develop?

Foreordination. Chosen before we were born. Chosen not for bodily attributes, but spiritual...bravery, courage, service.

Self-mastery - Reason over appetite. Pivotal spiritual attribute. Why the need for self-mastery? God gave us strong appetites to help us perpetuate families
(Here we go, right? I could sense it coming from here.).

Most temptations come from the appetites related to chastity. Not one of us manages them perfectly. We can learn from our mistakes and repent. True change comes from the atonement of Jesus Christ.

He gives you power as you keep his commandments urgently and exactly.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of change (interesting comment...could be interpreted 2 ways (the gospel as we understand it changes, or we change. He definitely meant the latter.). We should be master of our appetites, which frees us from personal slavery.

This is where it just went off the rails for me and I had to get up and nonchalantly go get some guacamole:
Marriage. Gender. Marriage between man and woman is fundamental; it is God's marriage pattern. It cannot be abused, misconstrued, etc. if you want true joy.

Now I'm going to quote him:
"Regardless of what civil legislation may be enacted, the doctrine of the Lord regarding marriage and morality cannot be changed. Remember, sin even if legalized by man, is still sin in the eyes of God."
"We cannot change his doctrine. It is not ours to change." (Umm...blacks and the priesthood anyone?)
"We will each have a personal interview with Jesus Christ. We will account for decisions that we made about our bodies, our spiritual attributes, and how we honored God's pattern for marriage and family."

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. Much much much too dogmatic for me at the end. It's such a stark contrast to the experiences I had with other talks this conference.
"So oft in theologic wars / The disputants, I ween, / Rail on in utter ignorance / Of what each other mean / And prate about an Elephant / Not one of them has seen." -- from "The Blind Men and the Elephant" by John Godfrey Saxe

"The faith that stands on authority is not faith. The reliance on authority measures the decline of religion, the withdrawal of the soul." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My ongoing story: http://precariousironrod.com/

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Oct 2013, 10:39

I wasn't able to do that session, since I watched it with my family, but I had the same reaction. I liked the first part and didn't like the second part. I simply disagree with too much of the second part.