General Conference October 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

General Conference October 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 08:42

This is the open thread for all things related to the General Conference talks this weekend. As I have done in the past, I will be highlighting the positive and negative things that strike me as I listen. Feel free to add whatever you would like, as well.

Please, everyone, listen to Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. I thought Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" would be my all-time favorite until the day I die, but it just got moved to #2. Pres. Uchtdorf spoke directly and eloquently and honestly to every person here. I LOVE that man.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: General Conference October 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 09:03

Saturday Morning Session:

Elder Packer is not in the conference center. I don't know if he is in one of the other buildings or simply not able to attend. We'll see if anything is said.

I've always been amazed at how easy it is to hear the words when the MoTab sings. That's the music geek in me. :P

Loved the short prayer. Not a prayer-talk!! :clap:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 09:12

President Monson:

Just as an interesting tidbit: President Monson became an apostle 50 years ago yesterday.

Missionaries from 58,500 a year ago to 80,303 now.

The need for help supporting missionaries who can't support themselves is on-going. Thanks for your help so far.

Each speaker chooses his / her own topic. (Not stated explicitly, but implied in the wording.)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 09:32

Elder Hales:

We are gathered in "His conference" and will hear His word. "Whether by my voice . . ." (That will rub some wrong, based on recent conversations, but it's to be expected.) Historical description of conferences throughout time. (This is a talk about conference to open conference.)

We are not assigned topics. We fast, pray, study, ponder, etc. about what we should say.

Why doesn't inspiration come more easily and quickly. "Study it out in your heart and in your mind." This is true of all members. Study in our minds and pray for guidance. The Lord will tell you what he wants to do with your life.

I don't always write what the speaker is saying. I note what the Spirit says to me. It's more important what I hear and feel, not exactly what the speaker says.

The world is moving away from the Lord faster and farther than ever before. (another message that won't resonate here much) Reference to challenges to the family. (at least there was no specific reference to any particular issue)

You might not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It might contradict your views. Listen as if from the mouth of the Lord himself.

I really liked the first part of this talk; the second part, not so much.

We gather to hear the words; we return to our homes to live them by pondering what was said. (I like the principle behind that thought.)

97% of the Church can hear the conference talks in their own language - 95 languages total.

Teach your children as individuals. We are trying to provide as much supporting material as possible for you to do that.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 09:44

Elder Soares:

I really liked this talk. Meekness is a subject that is dear to my heart, and I like talks that are focused on Jesus.

Definition of meekness. Meekness is a fruit of the spirit. Our lifestyle must be based on emulating Christ's attributes.

Through Christ's grace, we can accomplish our mission, using our agency righteously. We need to be willing and anxious to improve.

Jesus was meek. "Learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart." Developing Christ's attributes takes time and constant focus and desire. We need to try to improve day-by-day, but repentance is necessary in this effort.

Learning how to control our temper is important. What about when someone disagrees with us or offends, critiques or is unkind? Patience and gentle persuasion is critical, especially in our homes.

Humility is a key part of meekness.

Reference to South African saint and his experience of meekness. He and his friends attended church "through the window". This sort of story is touching; I really loved it.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 09:56

Carol Stephens:

Each person, male and female, are created in the image of God and have a divine nature.

Discussion of ordinances and their meaning - and the right for all to receive revelation for their own responsibilities. "The Holy Ghost is not restricted to men . . ." "When men and women go to the temple, they are endowed with the same power - which is Priesthood power." (YEAH!!)

Discussion of visits to sisters in Honduras - who have individual needs. Ordinances provide hope. (I like that framing, since it allows for literal or figurative interpretations, even though I think she probably meant it literally.)

We need to be aware of the needs others have - and we have to ask sometimes to know those needs. (That's my take on what she said, not what she said directly.)

Men and women need to cultivate respect for each other. Everyone needs others on whom they can rely. Heavenly Father is generous with his power, and it is shared with all (men, women and children) who strive to live righteously.

Sons and daughters of God need each other in order to be complete and whole.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 10:11

Edward Dube:

I loved this talk! (I just have to say how good it is to see a black member speaking in General Conference.)

"Never look back. Look at what we still need to do." Stand as witness of God is a lifelong commitment.

Follow in the footsteps of our savior. In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve, but how. "Be not weary in well doing." We need to do many things of our own free will.

The past is to be learned from but not lived in. Faith always points toward the future.

Glory follows tribulation. "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden . . ." (There is a strong message in that statement for those struggling with a faith crisis.)

We need to lift where we stand. We do not always work together.

It is not so much what we have done or where we have been but more where we are willing to go.

Everything in our religion is subordinate to the life and mission of Jesus Christ.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 05 Oct 2013, 10:15

Ray Degraw wrote:Edward Dube:
Everything in our religion is subordinate to the life and mission of Jesus Christ.
Love that he quoted Joseph Smith at the end relating to everything else in our religion being subordinate to the life and mission of Jesus Christ.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 10:26

Elder Bednar:

Tithing - I fought the initial inclination to tune out. I want to see what he says.

Discussion of his mother-in-law and her testimony of tithing. (I understand his point and don't dismiss it, but it's not my favorite application of the principle.) Often we emphasize the immediate and dramatic and overlook the significant but subtle.

Windows of heaven description - focused on letting in spiritual light - the gift of gratitude constraining wants to focus on need can eliminate discontentment (I appreciate the reference to job searches right now, since I'm in the middle of that.) We need to take proper care of material blessings we have received already. We need to be willing to change our own circumstances, rather than relying solely on others to make changes for us.

The promise to the sons of Helaman were not material but spiritual. They needed hope and faith, not necessarily better weapons. We don't always get what we want, but God will give us what we need.

The Lord's way is simple. The Church's basic financial program is in D&C 119 & 120. "1/10 of all their interest annually." "It shall be disposed of by a council" - the FP, the Q12 and the PB. The directions are simple and direct compared to other financial systems.

Two basic, fixed principles are observed: My computer cut out on the first one, but I assume it was to take care of current needs; the second is preparation for emergencies. The Church holds in reserve enough funds to handle emergencies without having to go into debt.

As I travel the earth, I learn about and from you.

"We are keenly aware of the sacred nature of the widow's mite."

A direct call to repent for those not paying tithing. (That will grate, I'm sure, but it can't be unexpected.)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Oct 2013, 10:41

Pres. Uchtdorf:

We spend ten hours each six month watching talks. Long list of what we do in the Church. Why would anyone want to join such a church? "We thought you would never ask."

Many churches are experiencing significant decreases in membership. Why is the LDS Church different - growing?

1) The Church was established by Jesus Christ - and the members love him and wish to follow him. They feel God's power in their lives and sense his presence in their lives and in the temple.

2) The Church provides opportunities to do good. People want to be involved. Members provide the work of ministry by themselves. Sometimes we volunteer; sometimes we are volunteered.

3) Walking the path of discipleship leads to precious blessings. Daily walk with Jesus Christ brings peace and helps avoid pitfalls.

There are some who leave what they once loved. Why would anyone leave? We assume it is because they have been lazy or offended or sinful. It is not that simple. Some struggle for years with the decision to stay or leave. We respect those who honestly search for truth. It may break our hearts when that journey leads them away, but we honor their right to worship according to the dictates of their own conscience.

I'm stopping. My eyes are tearing up, and I need to listen without typing. This is stunning. Everyone, please read this talk when it is published - then print it and carry it with you. Truly a stunning talk.

cwald, you asked when church leaders have ever admitted to being wrong. This talk is the answer you wanted.