What would you like to hear addressed in General Conference?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

What would you like to hear addressed in General Conference?

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Sep 2013, 20:25

I think the title says it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

church0333

Re: What would you like to hear addressed in General Confere

Post by church0333 » 27 Sep 2013, 21:12

Women and the priesthood. It would be great to hear that the leaders took the matter to The Lord and this is what He had to say about it.

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 27 Sep 2013, 21:16

General Conference????

I skip it. That's 10 hours of sitting and well, I get bored and fall asleep.

Seriously, though, It would be nice to have it less stuffy and boring.

Yes - to those who are going to say "You get out of it what you put into it", well then, I guess this session I will get nothing.
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 28 Sep 2013, 05:15

Financial transparency would be a great start.
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

Jazernorth

Post by Jazernorth » 28 Sep 2013, 06:15

Kumahito wrote:Financial transparency would be a great start.
I hear this all the time and I don't understand why people want a church, which is a private entity, to give financial transparency.
I completely agree when it is a publicly held company to its stockholders or a government agency to its citizens, but not from a private entity. To me this is the same thing as me asking a person on the street, whom I may or may not know, for their personal financial records.
That is my libertarian coming out in saying that private entities (people and otherwise) have a right to their privacy.

Now that said, if you want to see a private (especially charity) entity's finances before you donate money and they "choose" to not give it to you, then you do not need to donate money to that entity. If that makes sense. <=== My 2 cents on when to donate money.

Enjoy!
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness!
I will fight for all of them, will you join me?
http://www.jaynorth.net

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 28 Sep 2013, 07:27

Honesty.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 28 Sep 2013, 09:06

Balance of work and family

The role of personal conscience as the filter through which all leadership advice must flow.

Respect for diversity

Elder Poelman's "The church is not the gospel".

More talks that address class

Accepting the doubter

Navigating a faith crisis
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

cwald

Post by cwald » 28 Sep 2013, 09:24

Jazernorth wrote:
Kumahito wrote:Financial transparency would be a great start.
I hear this all the time and I don't understand why people want a church, which is a private entity, to give financial transparency.
I completely agree when it is a publicly held company to its stockholders or a government agency to its citizens, but not from a private entity. To me this is the same thing as me asking a person on the street, whom I may or may not know, for their personal financial records.
That is my libertarian coming out in saying that private entities (people and otherwise) have a right to their pri....

Enjoy!
Because all institutions that ask for member donations and tax exempt status, should be accountable to the the people who fund them.

Yes, the church is a private organization. But as a member, is it not my right to know how MY church is spending MY money?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

MayB

Post by MayB » 28 Sep 2013, 09:39

I like a lot of the ones SD listed. It would also be nice to hear encouragement to exhibit more Christlike behavior in our interactions with those that don't believe the same or those who seek change or further revelation on matters that are important to them.
MayB

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Sep 2013, 09:54

I like SD's also. Perhaps a work/church/family balance would be a better topic for that one, or maybe a church/family balance. I do see people so engrossed in magnifying their callings they forget that their most important calling is within their own families. This has been addressed before but all important things need to be addressed over and over.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction