Good-Bye, Dad

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Good-Bye, Dad

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Sep 2013, 11:30

My father passed away this morning.

The following is a tribute to him and his life of unselfish service. The world lost a true man of God today.

http://thingsofmysoul.blogspot.com/2013 ... rning.html
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DBMormon

Re: Good-Bye, Dad

Post by DBMormon » 21 Sep 2013, 11:36

Ray, so sorry to hear this.... my prayers are with you and yours

afterall

Post by afterall » 21 Sep 2013, 11:59

Ray, so sorry for the loss of your father! So grateful you have shared his life with all of us. I am so glad to know the story of your father. I have reflected on it many times and shared it with my family and a few close friends. He was/is remarkable.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 21 Sep 2013, 13:06

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Ray.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

church0333

Post by church0333 » 21 Sep 2013, 13:26

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I would love to bring over a dinner or do something but our on line ward doesn't lend itself very well to do that.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Sep 2013, 13:33

Condolences Ray...am very interested in how a person feels when this happens. This has never happened to me.

I read over your blog post. I got a feel for this man who was a capable leader yet let service and love for others overwhelm ambition he must have felt.

It was touching how you drew the analogy between "no cats in the house" and protecting his family like he did your mother.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 21 Sep 2013, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Sep 2013, 14:03

Thanks, everyone.

This has been approaching for a couple of months, so there was no surprise, but, as my brother who has been caring for him said, "I thought I was prepared, but I'm not." I told him I am happy for my dad, but we still can grieve our loss.

Due to the generosity of a dear friend, my wife and I are going to be able to attend his funeral - and I am deeply grateful for that.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 21 Sep 2013, 14:09

A moving tribute ... All my sympathy to you and your family.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

Mikedavis

Post by Mikedavis » 21 Sep 2013, 14:35

Ray. I am so sorry for your loss and so gratful for you sharing your Dad's story. If it is any help you can be assured that he has touched and perhaps even altered the lives of at least 5 people he had not even met.

turinturambar

Post by turinturambar » 21 Sep 2013, 15:56

Ray,

My deepest sympathies for you and your family.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎