BSA vote and the church statement

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
PiperAlpha

Post by PiperAlpha » 24 May 2013, 13:48

After the Boy Scout organization voted:
Openly gay youths will be allowed to join scouting, a historic decision the Boy Scouts of America says will keep it unclouded by "a single, divisive, and unresolved societal issue."-Cnn.com
I saw the Church made the statement :
Sexual orientation has not previously been—and is not now—a disqualifying factor for boys who want to join Latter-day Saint Scout troops. Willingness to abide by standards of behavior continues to be our compelling interest.-Lds.org
In my opinion, the church is handling it the right way on the top level.

I hope the local wards and leaders will also correctly handle the situation. So far, I have heard nothing discussed at my ward level, and I'm involved in the scouting program.
“As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
Elder Ronald E. Poelman, General Conference Oct 1984

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: BSA vote and the church statement

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 May 2013, 20:51

I hope so, as well.

If not, it will be one more crystal clear example that even the most hardcore, conservative members are buffet Mormons every bit as much as the most extreme, liberal members.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 25 May 2013, 16:51

I respect the church response. They will lose membership over this...much like they did in 1978.

If you doubt me, do a Google search for "Mike Tannihill"...one of LDS most known voices of reason within the bloggernacle and podcast community.

UNBELIEVABLE stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 26 May 2013, 10:58

What will they do when the gay youth grow up and want to still be a part of scouting? This decision doesn't solve the issue.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 May 2013, 15:08

It actually does solve it for gay members who choose to remain celibate, since this decision doesn't exclude gay adult leaders who are celibate. It doesn't solve it for gay members who choose not to remain celibate, but those adults aren't likely to be involved actively in the Church - unless gay marriage becomes the law of the land and the Church keeps the current wording of the endowment covenant ("legally and lawfully wedded").

Frankly, I hope for the latter (maintaining the current wording and allowing married, monogamous gay couples to attend the temple, even if they can't be sealed there). It will be interesting to see the next few decades, if I live long enough to have multiple decades left. At my age, that's not a given.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 26 May 2013, 18:26

journeygirl wrote:What will they do when the gay youth grow up and want to still be a part of scouting? This decision doesn't solve the issue.
small steps in the right direction should be celebrated even though they are small.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 27 May 2013, 15:18

I didn't realize they would allow celibate gays to be leaders. That's good to know. Things have changed a lot recently, so it will be very interesting to see what happens as time goes on.

Roy, I am glad for this small step, it just seems like it will not be a solution for the long run. I am really glad they won't prevent gay youth from participating. I actually took a survey about this for the BSA, and I wrote in a comment that to me it would be most important if they don't ban the boys. So I am very glad they made that change. I just think it doesn't send a consistent message.

kristmace

Post by kristmace » 12 Jun 2013, 02:44

I'm not sure that with the current working of BSA policies that celibate gay adults would be allowed to be leaders if their orientation is publicly known.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Jun 2013, 07:15

Baby steps. This will be like don't ask don't tell. A temporary measure until it's fairly unanimous that the change is no big deal.

Ann

Post by Ann » 12 Jun 2013, 07:36

Roy wrote:
journeygirl wrote:What will they do when the gay youth grow up and want to still be a part of scouting? This decision doesn't solve the issue.
small steps in the right direction should be celebrated even though they are small.
Someone wrote elsewhere recently that when Elder Oaks visited her area, she had a moment to express how happy she was with the change. He apparently said something about receiving a lot of mail critcizing them for "caving in." I thought that was an interesting little window in. I've never writtten a letter about anything, but think now that I probably should start.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11