Kirby responds to the "Wear Pants to Church"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
johnh

Re: Kirby responds to the "Wear Pants to Church"

Post by johnh » 25 Dec 2012, 13:22

Ray Degraw wrote: the official response from the Church :roll: - you know, the "there is no prohibition against women wearing pants to church, and we don't dictate what 'Sunday best' means" statement. :thumbup:

The church said that? Please provide a reference....this would be the best Christmas present ever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Dec 2012, 17:08

john, that was my own summary wording. The Church pointed people to the website about what to expect at a Sunday service.

That wording says that "typically" men wear suits and ties, women wear dresses or skirts, and children "dress up", but it says:
"You’re welcome to wear any clothes that you feel comfortable attending a church service in."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 25 Dec 2012, 20:15

Dress standards at church certainly are an area where a LOT of people look well beyond the mark.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Bear

Post by Bear » 26 Dec 2012, 01:05

Where was the quote taken from?
Could you provide a link?
:)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Dec 2012, 01:57

Sorry, forgot to include the link. It is from the Newsroom section @ lds.org. Here it is:

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/w ... h-services
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 27 Dec 2012, 19:09

cwald wrote:"Kirby for Prophet" Perhaps I should start my campaign early. :smile:
But, wait! He already is one. ;)
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

cwald

Post by cwald » 27 Dec 2012, 21:20

Tom Haws wrote:
cwald wrote:"Kirby for Prophet" Perhaps I should start my campaign early. :smile:
But, wait! He already is one. ;)
Okay.

Kirby for the "THE Prophet."
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 31 Dec 2012, 00:47

johnh wrote:
Ray Degraw wrote: the official response from the Church :roll: - you know, the "there is no prohibition against women wearing pants to church, and we don't dictate what 'Sunday best' means" statement. :thumbup:

The church said that? Please provide a reference....this would be the best Christmas present ever

Scott Trotter is church spokesman and says what women wear is not specified:

"Attending Church is about worship and learning to be followers of Jesus Christ. Generally Church members are encouraged to wear their best clothing as a sign of respect for the Savior, but we don't counsel people beyond that."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1016&sid=23355976

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 31 Dec 2012, 00:48

Bear wrote:Where was the quote taken from?
Could you provide a link?
:)
Hey Bear, see the link in my reply to johnh, specific statement that there's no policy beyond 'sunday best'

johnh

Post by johnh » 31 Dec 2012, 20:39

A family member in the bishopric said the church has sent out a letter adding that women wears dresses. Wondering if our resident bishop can verify this for us? A bit of double speak on the church's part if they did