In the Church, but not OF the Church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Shawn

Re: In the Church, but not OF the Church

Post by Shawn » 12 Jun 2012, 09:03

I have heard GAs talk about not letting calling and other things get in the way. I would like to read such articles but don't know how to find them. Anyone know of a good one?

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 13 Jun 2012, 10:52

Shawn wrote:I have heard GAs talk about not letting calling and other things get in the way. I would like to read such articles but don't know how to find them. Anyone know of a good one?
Shawn, I would suggest reading Pres Uchtdorf's talk from Oct 2010 "Of Things That Matter Most". He doesn't specifically state callings, but the message is very clear:
My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most. Let us be mindful of the foundational precepts our Heavenly Father has given to His children that will establish the basis of a rich and fruitful mortal life with promises of eternal happiness. They will teach us to do “all these things … in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that [we] should run faster than [we have] strength. [But] it is expedient that [we] should be diligent, [and] thereby … win the prize.”
-Pres Uchtdorf
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 13 Jun 2012, 11:03

deancatcat wrote:I think it is wonderful not feeling "bad" because I'm not perfect. I never had a church that has made me feel so bad about who I am except this one.
Hey deancatcat, one of my favorite conference talks of all time is from Elder Haight from Oct 1981, because the message is that this Church should be a Church of Love, not a Church of Fear. I say "should be" because it doesn't always seem that way, but in my experience, it is mostly because of the imperfect people, even if the Church itself is imperfect as well. But it should not make you feel worse about yourself, it should uplift you. Finding the reasons why it doesn't sometimes is a hard thing to do sometimes, but I find reasons that attract me to the church, and other reasons that I don't feel good about...so I work on how to not let myself feel bad about myself while clinging to the things I love about the church.

You may want to read Elder Haight's talk, the one section reads:
The Adamsons began reading A Marvelous Work and a Wonder and found that the Church consisted of much more than just the Word of Wisdom, which he had heard so much about all his life (and because he didn’t live the Word of Wisdom, felt the Church had nothing to offer him).

This couple soon learned it is a Church of love, not a Church of fear. They learned of the mission of the Savior and of our Heavenly Father and of repentance. They became so proud of the Church they had been born into that the Word of Wisdom no longer was an important issue.
-Elder Haight, "People to People", October 1981
Perhaps if you are feeling this way at church, you might find ways to reach out to others who may be feeling that way in your ward, People to People, and see if your experiences can help others.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 14 Jun 2012, 12:18

Thanks, Heber13. I also found this from the Handbook:
...They also consider the member’s personal or family circumstances. Each calling should benefit the people who are served, the member, and the member’s family.

Although service in Church callings requires sacrifice, it should not compromise a member’s ability to fulfill family and employment responsibilities (see 17.2.1).
http://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2- ... h?lang=eng

I am saddened by the stories of fathers who are not around when their kids need him because he's a bishop. If I'm ever a bishop and a member calls me for help, I'll be like "talk to me later, I'm at my boy's game."

Elder Perry lists four priorities in this order:
1. Your Eternal Companion
2. Your Children
3. Providing for Your Family
4. Church Service
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,49 ... -4,00.html