Living off the grid:

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
wayfarer

Re: Living off the grid:

Post by wayfarer » 29 Jan 2012, 04:29

cwald wrote:I just went 24 hours with my well pump out - no water. It sucks. Period. Living off the grid had not validity - imo. Once again, do it, and then have an opinion. Out.
+1. humans seem to take for granted so much. we are really quite domesticated...
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 29 Jan 2012, 14:36

Thanks the comments. Sorry if it seemed off in some way. I was just venting because with me trying to get Medicare started up again which I do need really badly.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 29 Jan 2012, 14:50

I know what you mean, Cadence. I read an article about hunter gatherers in Raw-Food-Health.net.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 29 Jan 2012, 15:30

Ilovechrist77 wrote:Thanks the comments. Sorry if it seemed off in some way. I was just venting because with me trying to get Medicare started up again which I do need really badly.
Please forgive me, I don't understand: you say you want to live off the grid, but you say you need medicare started up? Aren't these kind of mutually exclusive?
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 29 Jan 2012, 21:17

Wayfarer, I'm not going to actually live off the grid. I was just asking the question hypothetically with our strong reliance on the government, but yet the government is hanging by a thread and you will probably fall eventually. This is just a hypothetical question. I will continue working on getting Medicare with patience, persistence, and prayer, so I don't plan on living off the grid now or anytime in the future.

Brown

Post by Brown » 29 Jan 2012, 23:38

There are too many people on this planet now to live off the land. We require our fertilizers and our pesticides and factory farming. So barring some horrible disaster that wipes out 2/3 of the population, I don't think it can happen.

And if just the Mormons did it, we'd soon resemble the Warren Jeffs clan. That's no good.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 01 Feb 2012, 10:49

cwald wrote:I just went 24 hours with my well pump out - no water. It sucks. Period. Living off the grid had not validity - imo. Once again, do it, and then have an opinion. Out.
Sure, I understand where you're coming from, but if you were in a situation where water was more readily available...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

cwald

Post by cwald » 01 Feb 2012, 11:06

Got the pump working finally. No more sponge baths and dumping water in the toilet to get it to flush.

Thank god for the grid.

And that was just not having running water. Take away electricity and it's a whole knew ballgame.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 02 Feb 2012, 11:48

It does raise a serious issue though. How prepared are we? What good is food storage if we can't grow things, cook with fires or even hunt?

I had a similar issue, Cwald, last year. All our power went for forty minutes. Luckily it was late at night, but I was reading. The lights went off, and more worryingly the phone went dead. (My cellphone still worked - amazingly, I had just charged it) What's more all the street lighting around here went off. If that went on for more than two days, we'd be in serious trouble. Every robber, rapist, murderer and nutcase would be having a field day. Not to mention the kids!

There's some construction works about a mile and a half from me. Possibly a workman mangled power cables. I don't know.

I did have candles, but it did make me think how vulnerable we are. My heating and cooking is all done by electricity. Even the gas rings are lighted by electric sparks.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Brown

Post by Brown » 04 Feb 2012, 19:48

SamBee wrote:It does raise a serious issue though. How prepared are we? What good is food storage if we can't grow things, cook with fires or even hunt?
3/4 of the country live in densely populated areas. The only farmland is your front yard or the local park, and the only "game" is stray cats. It would be utter anarchy and chaos if the food supply was severely disrupted. We've moved away from self sufficiency because it is so inefficient and wasteful to have everyone take care of themselves.