Living off the grid:

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Ilovechrist77

Living off the grid:

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 27 Jan 2012, 14:31

If the Church teaches people to be self-sufficient, out-of-debt, not into vanity or selfishness, in the world but not of the world, then why doesn't the Church just have it's people live completely off the land or off the grid like in much of the ancient times and when the Church tried to establish Zion in Jackson County, Missouri. I know according to the Church history it didn't work because of selfishness or whatnot, but with too many stresses that are caused by our materialistic society, why doesn't the prophet ask the Lord to get the Church to make this drastic change, like the Lord did with Lehi moving into the wilderness, Noah building the ark, and Brigham Young moving the Saints to Utah? Hear me out: I have be fighting Social Security to get Medicare back for several months now, but the office in Illinois has things so screwed up that it's taking forever to get it activated. I can't even get Medicaid because according to the Public Aid office I have too much money in my bank account. I know that living off the land carries its own stresses as well, but with the way other things are getting worse, why doesn't Thomas S. Monson plead to the Lord to make the move to Zion more drastic like in the ancient times and the days of Brigham Young? I just have to vent. Your thoughts?

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Living off the grid:

Post by Old-Timer » 27 Jan 2012, 21:47

Honestly, I think it would be next to impossible right now for the entire church membership - both economically and socially - especially with regard to conversion rates. I think we'd wind up fairly quickly like the Amish - a small sect isolated in rural areas and relying almost exclusively on internal birth rates to survive.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 27 Jan 2012, 22:29

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just thinking about that today after having a stressful day.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2012, 09:01

This is a good question.

We teach self-sufficiency, but where I live, just about everything I have runs off gas or electricity. I couldn't install a real fire anywhere in this place.

Actually I'd be interested to know how many churches have generators etc.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 28 Jan 2012, 09:07

I should have added that I have nothing at all against the idea - in theory, generally, or in practice, for individual families. My own grandparents kept their family of nine kids alive for three years during a time of unemployment because of their 40-ish acres that included a 2-acre garden and various farm animals. I respect them for that - deeply.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Jan 2012, 09:50

We used to grow a lot of our own vegetables, some fruit, and kept a few goats, sheep and chickens. I miss that, although sending one goat off to the abattoir was kind of harrowing, as I was kind of attached to it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

truthordare

Post by truthordare » 28 Jan 2012, 15:00

We all have the choice to "live off the grid" at any time in our lives. If I arrive at the place where I believe it is a sound decision for me, I would put my rear in high gear to see that it happened.

I don't agree with making it an all encompassing church direction. We are a worldwide church. We know that not all programs can be designed the same and have the same impact on members. Individual, family, cultural, and country differences mean adaptation. I long for peace and calm within my soul. However that comes to me is not as important as the fact that it comes. I don't believe it has much to do with where I live. I do believe it is more an issue of how I live.
Leap and a net will appear.

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 28 Jan 2012, 15:55

Lets just all be hunter gatherers. I read an article that there is no depression and little anxiety among such people.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 28 Jan 2012, 22:05

Cadence wrote:Lets just all be hunter gatherers. I read an article that there is no depression and little anxiety among such people.
or let's grow up and realize that this age: the here and now is the ideal time to live.

Nostalgia for the past and the simpler life reminds me of... woody allen's "Midnight in Paris'.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

cwald

Post by cwald » 28 Jan 2012, 23:12

I just went 24 hours with my well pump out - no water. It sucks. Period. Living off the grid had not validity - imo. Once again, do it, and then have an opinion. Out.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby