Are you going to Church on Christmas Day?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Re: Are you going to Church on Christmas Day?

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Dec 2011, 12:27

We went today and it was just the right length....a wonderful Christmas gift from the Church...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 25 Dec 2011, 15:34

I really enjoyed our service today.

Four people spoke about "My Favorite Christmas Memory" (each for only about 5 minutes) - and they all were simple, service-centered and very touching. There was a special musical number after each talk - two by our really good ward choir and one with our Bishop playing "What Child Is This" on the violin accompanied on the piano by one of the older women in the ward who doesn't play much but obviously loved playing that number. We ended with Silent Night.

It was a good way to celebrate Christmas.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Dec 2011, 15:56

Our Bishop was away, and our First Counselor invited all primary children to come up and sing the first verse of Silent Night -- unprepared. Not protocol to do impromptu stuff like that -- but it was a glimmer of light for me -- the children all perked up, and were involved in the meeting. the Primary music person was there ready to show them the words in a kind of paper-based teleprompter. I thought that was a step in the right direction. My son perked up!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 26 Dec 2011, 20:32

I went to the Unitarian service this Christmas. It was really nice. I found out that the preacher's family has been Unitarian since before Mormonism existed. ! There weren't many people there (at all).
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com