Are you going to Church on Christmas Day?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Are you going to Church on Christmas Day?

Post by SilentDawning » 23 Dec 2011, 19:22

Our Ward is having a one hour sacrament meeting on Christmas Day -- are you going, or are you staying at home that Sunday?

Our family is discussing it. In years past, we went without exception as Christ is what Christmas is supposed to be all about, so went the logic. We are bandying some other ideas around....I am thinking of going to a Church up the street with the whole family just to try something new. Any thoughts on how to make the day special, with some kind of befitting Christian focus, while breaking the routine a bit?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Ball_of_Confusion

Re: Are you going to Church on Christmas Day?

Post by Ball_of_Confusion » 23 Dec 2011, 20:43

We're going. One hour, mostly the ward choir. The men are even doing a hymn...we' ve been practicing for the past 5 weeks during opening exercises.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Dec 2011, 20:56

We're going. We have an excellent Bishop; there is strong musical talent in the ward (including a newly created youth orchestra); my wife wouldn't have it any other way - and neither would I, honestly.

I really do love my current ward, and that makes a huge difference.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 23 Dec 2011, 22:17

We'll be going as a family. We also will have extended family over for dinner. It will not be a day of rest, but I'm looking forward to a good holiday and sharing the Christmas spirit with others.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

cwald

Post by cwald » 24 Dec 2011, 12:47

We're going to midnight mass at the Catholic cathedral here in Logan.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 24 Dec 2011, 13:32

cwald wrote:We're going to midnight mass at the Catholic cathedral here in Logan.
We've done that for years -- although never in logan. I enjoy when the church celebrates the high mass in place of some of the more modern equivalents.

We are also going to sacrament meeting only on sunday late morning. After I was released as choir director after 21 years of it, my wife started going to choir.

I prefer the music and silence over the spoken word.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

dash1730

Post by dash1730 » 24 Dec 2011, 18:36

We went to an Episcopal Church this afternoon (Christmas Eve) to their Eucharist with Children’s and Cherub Choirs & Bells. We have gone 3 times in the last 4 Christmases, simply because we enjoy the pomp and ceremony. They are almost as formal as the Catholics with processions, and recessions, incense, bells, pipe organ, readings and congregation responses as they told the Christmas story from the book of Luke. The church is not large, but is in the style of the grand old Cathedrals with lots of rock and stained glass. My wife and I had talked about going to a Baptist service that has the reputation of being good, this evening but logistics got to much. Also my wife was getting cold feet, because some of their promotions reminded her to much of the hard core dogma of her childhood. She converted to Mormonism in her 20's.

We will be attending Mormon services tomorrow, and our ward is having only Sacrament meeting. The other 2 meetings were canceled for Christmas.
I may not walk the straight and narrow, but I try to cross it as often as I can.
---J Golden Kimball

Brown

Post by Brown » 24 Dec 2011, 21:56

We are going to play it by ear and if we make it, we make it.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 25 Dec 2011, 11:02

Nah, not going. No particular reason.

I have done the Catholic high mass thing in the past sometimes. Where we used to live near Atlanta, our friends across the street were devout Catholic. The wife sang in their amazing choir (they actually traveled to Rome on year to sing for the Pope). We usually went to their Christmas event.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 25 Dec 2011, 11:28

I went this morning! A wonderful session! Their were quite a few Christmas songs sang by the choir! Have a merry Christmas, everyone!