New plateau for Silentdawning

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

New plateau for Silentdawning

Post by SilentDawning » 12 May 2011, 21:41

Boy, this is an exercise in ups and down....

Had some major breakthroughs in the last while. One, the process of writing my own Personal Articles of Faith has been so liberating. One principle I have codified is a "belief in self-acceptance", and strategies to respect those tendencies as I find a way to be happy in the the Church. This has created a new enthusiasm in myself lately. Respecting that my INFJ personality makes it hard for me work inside situations that require following stilted, scripted, administrative rules, and deciding NOT to be a veil worker or to engage in callings that require learning a lot of procedural rules or precise procedures -- makes me feel I can go to Church and be happier. When they ask for veil workers, I'll just recognize that such an activity is not my strength and decline because it is too procedural and scripted; it is not my strength, and I don't want it to be a strength. I actually wrote a polite letter to the temple (void of reasons) declining a veil worker recertification invitation, and I feel very good about it. Recognizing that there are callings where you DO have a lot of room to function without a lot of procedural rules to memorize or abide by is also liberating.

And not only that, I found I can still be a good father and teach gospel principles even though I may not fully buy-into all the cultural values we hold as a religion. Spirituality can be independent of, or complimentary to Mormonism.

Had a really good conversation with my son this evening, and taught him the four phases of prayer I learned from a protestant minister when I first learned to pray at the age of 16 -- Give Thanks, Ask Forgiveness, Pray for others, Ask for things you need. I asked my son if he believes God answers prayers, and he said "not always", which I thought was a very accurate assessment for a primary child....then found God had answered a prayer for him recently that I didn't know about it. None of these things require you to preach unquestioning obedience or any of the things that you hear at Church. They are pure spirituality, and they can exist powerfully with or without Mormonism at the core of your life.

Don't know why, but these personal insights, and this sense of independence has been a long time coming. I honestly believe there is a foundation forming for better and unique relationship with the Church as I go forward as I work on these Personal Articles of Faith.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

mom3

Re: New plateau for Silentdawning

Post by mom3 » 12 May 2011, 22:20

That is wonderful. I hope you continue to discover more wonderful, healing facts for you. I loved the chat you had with your son.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 13 May 2011, 04:57

Very nice. :thumbup:
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

George

Post by George » 13 May 2011, 04:58

I had my own moment of "enlightenment" recently. I focussed again on the LDS church teaching, "Man is that he might have joy." I realized that even as a "Universalist," I still love the idea. More importantly, I can share the idea with my devote TBM family members. We both can walk that pathway. It brings the church back toward me, if only via parameters. It is good in my familial relationships. I loved your conversation with your son also. I have three sons, one completely out of the church, one a faithful TBM, one a questioning New Order guy. I asked once if the Mormon church had never existed, where would their faith community be. Answers: Jesuit Priest, Born Again Christian, Buddhist. I myself have returned to my Native American belief system, mixed with respect for the teachings of Christ and hope in the Grace his message offers.

PS: Tom Haws and Silentdawning are running neck and neck in messages posted. Interesting!

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 13 May 2011, 05:07

My, are we older folks up early, George (though of course you are earlier and more "experienced" than I am)! At the rate SD is going, I am sure he will surpass me rapidly. I think I started here about three months after the forum began, so I'm a bit of a straggler.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 13 May 2011, 05:26

Tom Haws wrote:My, are we older folks up early, George (though of course you are earlier and more "experienced" than I am)! At the rate SD is going, I am sure he will surpass me rapidly. I think I started here about three months after the forum began, so I'm a bit of a straggler.
I work at a computer for as much as 18 hours a day, and when most people will take a break and get away from their desk, I usually come to StayLDS and post something. So I guess that allows a person to rack up posts pretty quickly. I like George's suggestion that focusing on "Men are that they might have joy" can be enlightening. This is because there have been aspects of Church service that have made me downright miserable. Is it consistent with his teachings to persist in those things which are persistently misery-creating? I'm not talking about disobedience to the clean living commandments, but I AM talking about trying to force oneself to do things which after a couple decades of trying have proven to be tedious and unfulfilling. I'm sure each of us has our own list.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 May 2011, 06:53

That's wonderful to read, SD. You have a very astute son.

Oh, and you're all rookies - babes in blogging diapers, so to speak. :ugeek:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 13 May 2011, 12:48

SD, very cool stuff.

You're a great example of finding some peace while realizing you must continue to journey.

Thanks for sharing.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 May 2011, 18:46

SilentDawning wrote:One principle I have codified is a "belief in self-acceptance",
Love it. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing your attempts to "find out what the gospel means for you personally." God knows your heart, and your heart is pure gold.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Fatherof4husbandof1

Post by Fatherof4husbandof1 » 13 May 2011, 19:42

SD wrote...
Don't know why, but these personal insights, and this sense of independence has been a long time coming. I honestly believe there is a foundation forming for better and unique relationship with the Church as I go forward as I work on these Personal Articles of Faith.
Nice, and I see that you once were SD "the grey" but now SD "THE WHITE"
to infinity...and beyond!!!!!