Elder Gong's Christ centered message to missionaries

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Elder Gong's Christ centered message to missionaries

Post by DarkJedi »

I admit when I saw the headline I almost didn't click - but I'm mostly glad I did.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... ies-226230
I've heard some of this kind of talk from some GAs before (Uchtdorf and Oaks when he was head missionary) but not necessarily succinctly packaged like this. The three "needful things" are seeking perfection in Christ, following the doctrine of Christ (and inviting others to), and preaching Christ.
“To seek perfection in Christ is to be patient, full of kindness and long-suffering, with ourselves and those around us,” Elder Gong said. “To seek perfection in Christ is to put aside the self-centered perfectionism of the world.”
He labeled the perfectionism of the world as a treadmill. “The more we focus on our inadequacies or imperfections, the more inadequate or imperfect we feel,” he said. “Too often, the perfectionism of the world reduces our self-esteem and even our faith. Instead of bringing us closer to the Savior, the perfectionism of the world focuses us on us, drawing us inward, instead of toward Jesus Christ.”...
“So, our first needful thing to believe and know perfection is in Jesus Christ, the Holy One of Israel, the author and finisher of our faith, the Only Begotten and Beloved Son of God our Eternal Father.”
Well put, IMO. I think in the church many individuals tend to focus on the worldly idea of perfection.
“Our primary purpose is not to invite others to come to Church or even to join the Church,” Elder Gong said. Rather the primary missionary purpose “is to invite others to come unto Jesus Christ, to learn of and love Him, and to follow His perfect example, which includes baptism by immersion. It is a true and wonderful gospel principle that we feel closer to our Savior as we help others draw closer to Him.”
I do recall Elder Oaks saying something very similar to this a few years back. I couldn't agree more. However, that's not the message most of our missionaries are getting from their leaders (or families) and the pressure on them to get people to church and baptized is tremendous.
“As the Apostle Paul says, ‘we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord’ (2 Corinthians 4:5),” Elder Gong taught.
He warned the missionaries against “Bible bashing or scripture bashing,” when others bait or debate with missionaries.
“If you confront questions or issues with which you are unfamiliar or unsure, focus on the essentials you know. You may not know everything — no one does. But you know and you will learn what you need to invite honest seekers of gospel truth to draw closer to Jesus Christ. Your testimony can invite each soul to follow Jesus Christ’s example to be kind, compassionate and to find joy on His covenant path. Because this is His work, He will help you. Trust Him, always give Him the credit and glory, with faith and gratitude.”
I get the feeling this quote is heavily abridged, and that's OK with me because it's the one I agree with least. Not that I don't agree we should preach Christ, I absolutely do believe that we should. And I agree we don't have all the answers. I disagree that bearing testimony is the cure-all however. Some people believe bearing testimony and reading the Book of Mormon are capable of miracles - that has not been my experience.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
Roy

Re: Elder Gong's Christ centered message to missionaries

Post by Roy »

DarkJedi wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 08:51 “To seek perfection in Christ is to be patient, full of kindness and long-suffering, with ourselves and those around us,” Elder Gong said. “To seek perfection in Christ is to put aside the self-centered perfectionism of the world.”
He labeled the perfectionism of the world as a treadmill. “The more we focus on our inadequacies or imperfections, the more inadequate or imperfect we feel,” he said. “Too often, the perfectionism of the world reduces our self-esteem and even our faith. Instead of bringing us closer to the Savior, the perfectionism of the world focuses us on us, drawing us inward, instead of toward Jesus Christ.”...
“So, our first needful thing to believe and know perfection is in Jesus Christ, the Holy One of Israel, the author and finisher of our faith, the Only Begotten and Beloved Son of God our Eternal Father.”
I love this quote! If it had been around when I gave my talk on Charity then I would have used it.
Sometimes we don’t allow ourselves to feel that love. We view ourselves like a freezing man shivering in front of his fireplace saying, “give me heat and then I’ll give you some wood.” What we are saying is that we are worth what we do and that only then, we’ll get what we deserve. Only after we do enough are we lovable. Maybe we aren’t worthy of full love because we fall short. Knowing ourselves in our heart of hearts and knowing all that stuff that we keep hidden from others, things that if they were to know might make us less loveable, might be enough for some of us to proclaim as I did in my missionary days – I am doomed!
How then is Christ’s perspective and love towards us different than our own? The apostle John the beloved tells us that “We love him,” “because he first loved us.” (1 John 4:19). Christ’s love came first! It is not dependent on what we do, but is grounded in who we are in relationship to him. John also gives us perhaps the most famous scripture of all time in John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son” Why did the atonement happen? Because of love! Before any of us took any actions in either the mortal or the pre-mortal spheres, there was this plan, borne of love, to save us. The love existed before we could do anything to be deserving of it and the love remains even after we prove ourselves unworthy.
Jesus as the God of the Old Testament asks us in Isaiah, “Can a woman forget her suckling child, the loved one, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?” And then He answers His question, “Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.”
Even in our failure he loves us. He already knows all of our shameful secrets. Sometimes we use his knowledge as a scare tactic, “well you know – Jesus is coming, he’s making a list of who’s been naughty and who’s been nice. I don’t think you’re going to make it…”
Rather than be a frightful thing, the knowledge that your savior already knows the real you and accepts you fully - should be liberating. You don’t have to wonder if he would withhold his love if only he knew the real you.
President Monson has described charity as follows: “Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down…It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings…. It is accepting people as they truly are.” End quote.
Christ does this for us!
This quote of from President Monson about accepting people with their weaknesses and shortcomings was outward facing. I was looking for a quote about self-charity, self-patience, and self-forgiveness but I could not find quite what I was looking for. This new quote from Elder Gong would have been perfect.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13
Roy

Re: Elder Gong's Christ centered message to missionaries

Post by Roy »

“To seek perfection in Christ is to be patient, full of kindness and long-suffering, with ourselves and those around us,” Elder Gong said. “To seek perfection in Christ is to put aside the self-centered perfectionism of the world.”
We have had some discussion about how the faithful and apologist way of changing accepted doctrine is to make it seem like the doctrine in question was instead policy, or a cultural custom, or a misunderstanding of the membership, or false traditions that early converts of the church brought with them.
I see something similar going on here. Elder Gong uses the phrase "perfectionism of the world" repeatedly to describe what until recently was perfectly common LDS perfectionism. In fact, I have heard repeatedly in SS discussion that the pursuit of perfection will not be complete in this life but only in the next life. I have also heard repeatedly that tithing is one of the few commandments where a member can be mathematically perfect. Sounds like what Elder Gong is describing as the "self-centered perfectionism of the world" to me.
Not that I mind. I am personally very excited to hear more about this "perfection in Christ" and to see it more fully take hold.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13