General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Apr 2021, 07:36

nibbler wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 07:10
If it's about setting a record, they're on their way.
I do think the "ooo and ahh" temple moment was announcing 20 temples, and maybe that was in lieu of having an exotic place (Russia, China, Mongolia) to announce. Gotta get the wow factor somehow.
I can foresee a time in the near future where there are no new temple announcements because we'll be playing catch up with the back log for several years.
I seem to recall that happening once under the Monson administration. As I recall he announced there would be no new temples announced while they catch up. Maybe the rules have changed in recent years, but in the past there were only a small handful of construction companies that bid (or even could bid) on temple construction. Some of the work could be subcontratced (part of why the Rome Temple construction was delayed) but some of the work required temple recommend holding people - understandable if we are to keep some of the stuff "sacred." If that's all still the case, the backlog only stands to grow.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: General Conference April 2021 - Discussion Thread

Post by hawkgrrrl » 09 Apr 2021, 11:34

I did a post on the Twenty Temples announcement, curious as to the motivation (particularly when temple attendance seems to be down). Anyway, the discussion was pretty good, but I also think I did a reasonably good job laying out the possible motives: https://wheatandtares.org/2021/04/07/twenty-temples/