Introduction

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
SunbeltRed

Introduction

Post by SunbeltRed » 23 Jun 2014, 18:49

Hi everyone,

This his been a big week for me. I have been having a faith crisis for many years, it ebbed and flowed, and then just came to a head this last week. I feel fortunate that I found this site, it gave me a safe space to flesh out many of the things I have been thinking and feeling. I have appreciated many of the comments and thoughts here on the discussion board. I have a great love for the LDS Church, and could not figure out how to reconcile my love for many of the goods things the LDS church does, many of the very good and amazing LDS people that I know, and its problematic history and claims. As funny as it may sound, the 'How To Stay in the Church' document here on the site was an answer to prayer.

It has been a liberating week. Knowing that I don't have to know, that I am my own captain in my spiritual journey, realizing that I can love my wife and children for who they are without worrying about their absolute perfect adherence to a path that no one can know is the only path. Luckily, my wife is amazing and totally on-board with muddling through middle-way Mormonism for the time being. I don't know yet how the middle-path will be, what obstacles we will encounter, but I feel happy that I can be me, unsure, unknowing, but willing to learn, and chart my own spiritual course.

Looking forward to connecting with the community.

-SunbeltRed

Minyan Man

Re: Introduction

Post by Minyan Man » 23 Jun 2014, 21:19

SunbeltRed, you said:
I have been having a faith crisis for many years, it ebbed and flowed, and then just came to a head this last week.
I my opinion, Our Faith always ebbs & flows. I think I would be worried if my faith said the same all the time. Isn't a spiritual experience a big ebb & then flows back to a normal level again? Or maybe below the normal level. I know, VP (Very Profound).

Welcome to the Group. We want to hear more from you.

cwald

Post by cwald » 23 Jun 2014, 21:45

It will be sad if they excommunicate the founder of this site.

just saying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Ann

Post by Ann » 23 Jun 2014, 23:59

SunbeltRed wrote:
It has been a liberating week. Knowing that I don't have to know, that I am my own captain in my spiritual journey, realizing that I can love my wife and children for who they are without worrying about their absolute perfect adherence to a path that no one can know is the only path.
Hi, SunbeltRed - Glad you're here. There are a lot of trying things about this process, especially when I'm not on the same page with my family, but I wouldn't "go back" even if I could!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jun 2014, 05:36

Hi SunbeltRed and welcome to the forum. I agree that it is liberating to come to the understanding that there is more than one way to look at things and more than one way to do things. I look forward to your insights.
Last edited by DarkJedi on 24 Jun 2014, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Jun 2014, 05:51

SunbeltRed wrote:It has been a liberating week. Knowing that I don't have to know, that I am my own captain in my spiritual journey
I've experienced that same liberating feeling. It's what I needed in order to allow myself to be happy again.

Welcome.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 24 Jun 2014, 07:42

Yes! That liberating feeling is something I have enjoyed for a while now. When I realized i didn't have to move people every time someone announced a move in priesthood, when I realized it was my choice whether to clean the chapel, when I realized that so many things I was forcing myself to do, where my choice, it was in fact liberating.

You've also highlighted the fact that its easier to love your kids unconditionally when you cast off the cultural shoulds of serving a mission and all the other things "good Mormons" do. The focus becomes on helping family be good people, rather than good Mormons, and they are not the same thing.

Welcome to the site!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 24 Jun 2014, 08:12

SunbeltRed wrote:Hi everyone,

I don't know yet how the middle-path will be, what obstacles we will encounter, but I feel happy that I can be me, unsure, unknowing, but willing to learn, and chart my own spiritual course.

Looking forward to connecting with the community.

-SunbeltRed
SunbeltRed:

Welcome! Many here are on the same type of path -- no two of us exactly the same. Although it is not without some difficult days/weeks, I would not trade my new "Mormonism My Way" approach to life for the inauthentic approach I took in the past.

I look forward to getting to know you and reading your future posts.

LDSThomas

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 24 Jun 2014, 18:06

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate the warm invite.

Mike - agreed. It does ebb and flow, sometimes the valleys get a bit lower than usual :smile: I am still deconstructing and rebuilding. It is interesting to reexamine how I thought about many things before from a very different angle. I have been constantly surprised to come upon a previous belief, turn it about, look at it from a different perspective, and wonder how I could have thought such a thing.

Would also be interested to hear some of your thoughts on a few other questions:

1) Any quick advice or best practices for the middle way with small children? We have three kids (6,2,1). I prefer to raise them in the church, I want to give them the best perspective I can, I want to represent church history accurately and softly help them to be their own spiritual guides, but I want to respect their agency and let them come to their own conclusions.

2) And, I do have a stake calling. Not in the Stake Presidency, but I work with them a lot. I think my calling is what caused me to reexamine much of this, wondering if I can represent the SP but also be authentic. I feel like I have been able to reconcile having the calling I have with my new faith paradigm. I am temple worthy, I don't plan on vocalizing any of the things I share here (although I have been revising messages and talks to sound more literal Mormon, but subtly changed to reflect my views). This may sound strange, but I feel like my calling may give me the opportunity to find and work with those with questions like myself and be able to connect and help them in a way that most active members would not understand or comprehend. I have already been able to help a good friend who shares many of my concerns.

Would love to get your thoughts.

-Sunbelt Red

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Jun 2014, 18:34

Welcome. I am glad to hear we have helped already and hope we can continue to do so - and that you can help us, as well.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken