S Goodman

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
SGoodman

S Goodman

Post by SGoodman » 23 Jun 2014, 17:59

I'm Jewish and a convert to the Church. I served a mission (though later than most), married in the Temple and raised my children in the gospel. I read a bit too much, ignoring the council to avoid anti-Mormon literature, and the sheer volume of what I found began to shake my testimony. Had I left off at that point I might well have left the church. I did set it all aside for a while but I had to go back to it and find answers to all the questions it raised. I spent a great deal of time searching out those answers. I spent many years after that doing apologetics with the information I had gathered. Eventually even that lost its allure. Attacks and ripostes just didn't mean anything; being moved by the Holy Ghost was the only real thing. All the rest was just sophistry. A man (or woman) feels the Spirit or he doesn't. That has to be the foundation of the discussion, not whether the Kinderhook plates prove Joseph was a Prophet.

So I left the apologetics boards and found this one, where we can focus on how people feel and how they can cope with how they feel.

LDSThomas

Re: S Goodman

Post by LDSThomas » 23 Jun 2014, 18:03

Welcome! Lots of good, wise folks here. You'll fit right in!

LDSThomas

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 23 Jun 2014, 18:51

Welcome! I am new here as well so looking forward to connecting.

SGoodman

Post by SGoodman » 23 Jun 2014, 19:09

I've been reading through some of these threads and I'm humbled. For example, a question was asked about doctrines concerning Heavenly Mother. I thought to myself "I've got this" but by the time I read through the thread I realized I had nothing new to add. The same for several other threads, they had great responses and all I might have been able to add was a "me, too". There are some very solid thinkers in this group. :geek:

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 23 Jun 2014, 20:44

Yes, welcome, S Goodman. I agree. You'll fit in quite well. I look forward to hearing more from you. :smile:

Ann

Post by Ann » 24 Jun 2014, 00:15

SGoodman wrote:
Attacks and ripostes just didn't mean anything; being moved by the Holy Ghost was the only real thing. All the rest was just sophistry. A man (or woman) feels the Spirit or he doesn't. That has to be the foundation of the discussion, not whether the Kinderhook plates prove Joseph was a Prophet.
Hi, SGoodman - I'm glad you're here and look forward getting your take on things.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jun 2014, 05:00

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to interacting with you and to your perspective.
SGoodman wrote: A man (or woman) feels the Spirit or he doesn't.
I agree with this, and I see how this has some meaning to you. In the end we are spiritually converted - or not. Please understand that there are people here who do struggle with this idea, who believe or feel that they do not really have spiritual experiences, promptings, inspiration, confirmations, etc. Indeed, I think there are some who do not believe they have any spiritual interaction at all. There are also those who struggle with discerning what is spiritual and and what is personal feeling or emotion. For some it is a matter of intellect rather than the spirit - and that's OK because "It is not that simple."
Last edited by DarkJedi on 24 Jun 2014, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Jun 2014, 06:02

What I like about your story is your commitment to finding an answer.

Although my answer continues to evolve over time I find it is empowering because it is mine. I own it. It is no longer in the hands of a leader, in the hands of an apologist, or to be found in a history book. My spiritual journey is now between me and god.

Welcome.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 24 Jun 2014, 11:09

Welcome.

Please don't get offended or take it personally when I occasionally use a hammer a little too forcefully. I try not to do so, but, as cwald can attest, at least I'm an equal opportunity hammerer. :oops:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SGoodman

Post by SGoodman » 24 Jun 2014, 19:32

Old-Timer wrote:Welcome.

Please don't get offended or take it personally when I occasionally use a hammer a little too forcefully. I try not to do so, but, as cwald can attest, at least I'm an equal opportunity hammerer. :oops:
That made me smile. :smile: