I have my good days and my bad days.

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Roy

Re: I have my good days and my bad days.

Post by Roy » 03 Dec 2013, 11:42

Thanks for the update CC.

I don't think it was a scam, more like a weird acid trip, halucinations, and group think. Can it still be of worth - sure. As long as you are using it to enhance your life instead of sacrificing your life for a promised future one.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 03 Dec 2013, 11:59

I hadn't ever read your intro before. It amazes me how similar I feel to many on this site. I too felt hope and today am feeling discouraged. Your title says it all, I too have my good day and bad days. I need to find some good. It has lifted me some to just know I am not alone.

Love my virtual ward and a shout out to the best visiting teacher I have ever had, even if she isn't assigned to me.
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 03 Dec 2013, 22:03

a shout out to the best visiting teacher I have ever had

Thank you! Oh, wait . . . :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 05 Dec 2013, 01:09

I think you would technically be a home teacher Ray. I haven't ever had a home teacher worthy of a shout out...they never sent/brought chocolate!
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

Captain Conundrum

Post by Captain Conundrum » 09 Dec 2014, 04:05

So.... Another year goes by. I had to psychologically leave the church in order to stay. Now I can go back and do it completely on my own terms. I am becoming pretty comfortable in my own skin. I am not afraid that my friends and family know that I am a cultural "cafeteria" Mormon. I continue to go every once in a while because this is my community church.
I am not afraid to just say no. No to anything that would seek to control me or keep me from exercising my free agency. Home Teachers? Maybe if they come by about once a quarter and it's somebody that knows me from way back and is willing to give me the benefit of the doubt. Me Home Teach? As long as you are OK with me coming by once a quarter. I'll tell you about that up front. You can call me anytime that you need anything. I'll be there for you.
Tithing settlement - No thank you.
Call me into your office to interview me? No thank you. I'll talk to your second councilor who I have a pretty good relationship with. He knows better than to make me a "project". In fact I would appreciate that you keep this confidential, you can tell the bishop but I'd prefer that my name not even be brought up in ward correlation meeting.
Please don't interview any of my daughters without their mother being present.
Somebody is moving or is need of help? Please keep me on your speed dial.
If I happen to show up to Elders Quorum (you won't see me in Sunday School.) Just know that when I hear any unfounded rhetoric or dogma being taught from anywhere in the room I won't be afraid to calmly speak up (with my smart phone in hand) in a non confrontational way.
The church is a pretty good safety net for my kids and a place that they can practice their spirituality. But I will from time to time deprogram them when needed. I will teach them about the importance of non-exclusivity and to think for themselves. I will teach them that the church is a pretty good vehicle that can take you to heaven. But feel free to get out and walk when you feel like getting some exercise. Just be sure to keep your road map and ask people you trust for directions.
All the above is subject to change without notice. And this offer is only available because I live in Utah. :-)
Last edited by Captain Conundrum on 09 Dec 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 09 Dec 2014, 11:45

Good update. Thanks for sharing how you've come to be comfortable in your own skin. It's a good example of how a person can StayLDS...on one's own terms. And the church rolls on. And life goes on. There is a path for those who choose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Dec 2014, 12:25

Thanks, CC, for the update.

What Heber said. :thumbup:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 10 Dec 2014, 07:24

Nice update. Glad to hear you are sorting things out for yourself and figuring out what is important. Power to you my old friend!
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.