I have great hope for this forum.

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Shederlaomach

I have great hope for this forum.

Post by Shederlaomach » 12 Nov 2008, 17:27

Like many Mormons who are struggling to remain active, I am a DNA Mormon--descended on both sides from good pioneer stock. I grew up in Provo and served a mission. In the quarter century since then, however, I have moved around a bit, and I've had a lot of life experiences. Some have resulted in a deeper testimony of the Gospel. But, paradoxically, I have also had several very negative experiences that have soured my relationship with the Church--institutionally speaking. I have also had profoundly negative personal experiences with two of the men currently serving in the quorum of the 12. Obviously, I am in a difficult place spiritually. I can't just walk away from the Gospel, as I have had too many powerful spiritual experiences that have revealed the truthfulness of the Gospel to me, but neither can I stand idly by and accept a lot of the real abuse, authoritarianism, and the lack of total honesty that I see in church leadership styles currently.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: I have great hope for this forum.

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Nov 2008, 19:25

One thing I like to remember is that the church belongs to all of us as members, not just to the leaders. I'm just as much a Mormon as anyone else in the church. That sounds like "fighting words," yet it's not. I just think that like all human organizations, some people think they own the place. ;) I also think that's part of the wisdom in having 15 at the top level: 3 FP and 12 Apostles. It has (to an extent) a leveling influence. One style can't dominate too much without being tempered a little by the other styles.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 12 Nov 2008, 20:20

Welcome Shederlaomach! I too have great hopes for this forum, glad you found us. I think we all see something valuable in the church, something that we don't want to dismiss entirely - whatever that may be. Most of us have also felt a strain in our relationship with the church at some point, and are at different stages of repairing or ‘building a new relationship’ with the church (as Richard Bushman has referred to the process). I have great hopes that StayLDS will become a valuable resource for anyone who can relate to this experience and has a common desire.

Again, welcome! I look forward to hearing more from you.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Shederlaomach

Post by Shederlaomach » 13 Nov 2008, 23:47

Thanks to both of you for extending me such a warm welcome. I agree that this church is ours. In fact, one story that really resonates with me is the one where Bishop Woolley had a problem with Brigham Young. Young chastised Woolley publicly and then suggested that he might go off and apostatize like so many others have done. Edwin Woolley replied "No, I won't. If this were your church I might, but it's just as much mine as it is yours."

Still, it is often very hard to remain strong in an organization that often seems to have no desire to have people like me in it. One thing I really miss is having kindred spirits I can discuss my concerns and trials with. I hope this forum will become a haven for people like me.

Again, thanks for kind acceptance you have shown. I look forward to getting to know you all in the coming weeks.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 14 Nov 2008, 07:58

Hi Shederlaomach!

Welcome to the community.

I really liked this story you quoted below. I will have to remember it. I want to feel like that.
Shederlaomach wrote:Young chastised Woolley publicly and then suggested that he might go off and apostatize like so many others have done. Edwin Woolley replied "No, I won't. If this were your church I might, but it's just as much mine as it is yours."
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 14 Nov 2008, 10:47

That's going into my file of great stories, along with the David O. McKay drinking Coke story. I hadn't heard that one before.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Nov 2008, 20:45

My father said something once when I was very young that burned into my soul:
This is my church. Nobody and nothing can take it away from me. It's mine.
He was not an educated man by any stretch of the imagination, but he was a very wise, good man. I hope this forum strengthens that feeling in all who participate.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken