Hello

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
SamBee

Hello

Post by SamBee » 16 Mar 2010, 13:17

Like many of you, I have had questions about the LDS church. I was baptized into the church in the 1990s, but I have not been for a number of years. I never became temple-worthy, and I suppose I did not play as large a part in the church as I could have. I think for me, it was a bit much too soon. I am a shy person, and I didn't feel up to doing much home teaching, or missionary work. (I find job interviews hard enough - it's a curse.) And I had a girl chasing me I wasn't interested in - I didn't dislike her, I just wasn't interested in a relationship, and I really didn't want to give her a nasty brush off.

I am told by some folk (not LDS by the way) that I'm a little eccentric. That's just how I am, but it did feel strange going into a church of such neat and well presented people. I also wonder if I asked the wrong questions. I have suffered my share of mental turmoil, but it's not something I feel society is very good at addressing. I hope you don't mind if I don't say too much about myself as an individual. I'd rather have some level of anonymity.

Recently, I started feeling a real draw back to the church, but I don't know if I can take it again or not. I went into my local church (ten minutes late due to transport problems) last Sunday, but I had to leave, because I didn't know which room to go to, or what came first. I've started rereading the Book of Mormon, and 2 Nephi is of particular interest. Other parts of it are tough going. I'm also reading through the Book of Jeremiah.

I have a few issues, which I will bring up in the forums. I'm most of the way to agnostic these days, but I have started feeling a pull again.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by Heber13 » 16 Mar 2010, 14:21

Welcome. Glad you're here.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 16 Mar 2010, 16:12

Welcome to the site!

just me

Post by just me » 16 Mar 2010, 16:42

Welcome aboard. Good to have ya!
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Mar 2010, 19:10

What they said. :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 16 Mar 2010, 19:48

Welcome SamBee. I hope we can be a sounding board for you.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

swimordie

Post by swimordie » 17 Mar 2010, 22:50

Welcome, SamBee, hope you find what you're looking for.
Perfectionism hasn't served me. I think I am done with it. -Poppyseed

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 19 Mar 2010, 09:21

Thanks everybody...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

SMiLe

Post by SMiLe » 19 Mar 2010, 09:35

From another new member, welcome!

SMiLe

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 19 Mar 2010, 20:08

A belated welcome from here in Arizona. I hope you find your unique brand of comfort among the homogeneity often present in the ward. Take comfort in knowing there is often more diversity than it initially appears.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com