I choose to believe

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Doubter

I choose to believe

Post by Doubter » 05 May 2021, 14:08

Hello friends: I am new to the forum and have had a faith crisis since 2015. I have run the gambit of all possibilities but in the end I believe deeply in Jesus christ!!! I still have many disagreements with the church but I have not found a better place to worship. I'm not perfect, I dont like the temple or wearing a suit to church and many other things so I will live Mormonism on my terms!!!!! I am staying in the church to support my TBM wife and as mentioned I dont see a better more realistic alternative. I like to discuss things in a civil manner although when I try and do this in gospel doctrine many church members get upset while simply trying to discuss things. Even Joseph Smith invited open discussion !!! I have been a member since 1981 and am 1 year from retirement. Thanks glad to be here.

Minyan Man

Re: I choose to believe

Post by Minyan Man » 07 May 2021, 12:34

Doubter, everything you say sounds familiar to many of us. This is a good place to work out or work on
your doubts, fears, problems plus all that you do believe. We try not to judge or find fault.
Keep coming back. And, Welcome.

I too choose to believe.

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 May 2021, 15:07

Hello and welcome!

Jesus is a good way to go. I love the redemptive power of that story.

I too choose to believe. In saying this, I mean that I have very little evidence of what might happen after death, I choose to believe that we will continue on in some form and I choose to believe that close relationships that form in this life will have significance there.

Unfortunately, gospel doctrine is not a good place to have discussions that do not reaffirm the dominant narrative of the church. In my experience, some individuals can have these discussions on a one on one in person basis and some cannot. Group discussions are unlikely to yield positive results.

I think that JS was a complicated individual. Yes, he did seem to invite open discussion but I believe that he also expected to be the final word. This probably also varied by situation. For example if you were a traveler stopping through Nauvoo and you were in conversation with JS there would probably be more room for good natured disagreement. However, if you were a member of the LDS church I believe that one's ability to disagree without negative consequences would be diminished.

You are welcome here. I hope that we can be helpful to you.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

latterdaytemplar

Post by latterdaytemplar » 13 May 2021, 04:03

Welcome to the forum! :smile:
"… Behold, we will end the conflict."
—Captain Moroni (Alma 44:10)

Whatever conflicts that you come across in life, they can be beaten. Adopt Captain Moroni's attitude: be of the disposition to end the conflict, and then act on that disposition.