My Revised Understanding of The Second Comforter

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Roy

Re: My Revised Understanding of The Second Comforter

Post by Roy » 18 Dec 2019, 10:53

Merry Christmas as well to you and yours.

Perhaps the second comforter (as a visionary experience) is like other spiritual gifts in that it is not given to all. Not everyone has the same gifts and that is ok. It would be a shame to spend a lifetime pursuing a gift that is not meant to be. That would perhaps result in underappreciation and underdevelopment of the gifts that one does indeed possess.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 18 Dec 2019, 20:54

Ilovechrist77 wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 21:42
Now, I've come to the conclusion that I still want to experience the Second Comforter, but I've tried to make my faith a bit simpler and not worry when and how it might happen.
Out of curiosity, what do you believe the Second Comforter will achieve for you personally? Please understand, this isn't me being critical of your desire to experience the Second Comforter, I'm genuinely curious. I've often found that asking myself, "Why?" over various things has led to interesting introspection. What need will the Second Comforter fill for you?
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 28 Dec 2019, 22:27

Well, when a person knows another person, I mean really knows that person, he/she doesn't just know about he/she. They really know that person on a personal level, just like when a person really knows their close family members of best friends. Does that mean that he/she automatically knows everything about that person? No, it doesn't. In fact, there are times I learn new things about my family members or friends. Can we be wrong about our family or friends on certain things? Yes, we can. I know I have been. Coming to know all eternal truth is the same way. I believe the Gods what us to come to them personally and to know all truth as well. That's all a process. For most people, it's normally by spiritual impressions or intuition, but I believe knowing Them will eventually become more powerfully personal. I believe that's what They want for us all. I don't believe it should become an obsession, but obsessions can lead to make our lives unmanageable. This is something I believe in. If you don't, that's okay with me. I hope that answers your question.