What's My Line?

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: What's My Line?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Sep 2016, 22:31

What about that passage, Shawn? I agree with it 100% - and I think it is absolutely fascinating and vitally important that it finishes the section that started with Joseph begging God to exercise unrighteousness dominion. I think it an answer to Joseph's questions, and I love that he recorded it as one section.

Also, it applies to almost all people - and it certainly applies to me and to you (If you think about that right now, I am sure you will see the wisdom of it being so broadly stated.) - and probably every prophet who ever lived, at various times in their lives.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Orson
Site Admin

Re: What's My Line?

Post by Orson » 26 Sep 2016, 14:10

Heber13 wrote:I judge JS to be a prophet (black and white...he is or he is not)...based on the fruit of his actions which are not black and white but are a sliding scale of it being good enough for me to tip the scales from False Prophet to True Prophet.
I don't even have to weigh all the fruit and see to which side the scale will tip. In my mind someone can preach/do 99% bad, but in the 1% truth be acting as a true prophet. "A prophet when acting as such"

There is also the title or status of "prophet" in a church, I would grant "authentic" to the title of prophet if there was in fact an organization that did in reality recognize the person as their designated "prophet." Someone else that tried to fake authentication or fraudulently pose as the figure head of an organization would administratively be a "false prophet."
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.