The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
nibbler

Re: The Role of Sharks in the Resurrection

Post by nibbler » 10 Mar 2016, 05:55

Some of the more recent comments have me questioning why it's so vitally important that we resurrect. When faced with the fear of death I think the main concern is whether or not we retain our consciousness. In LDS doctrine we have the concept of our spirit that retains consciousness, why do we then have the need to return to a body?

Stream of consciousness time:

I've been through some painful physical ailments, I don't want any of that back. The answer, our resurrected bodies are perfect, you won't have those pains. Well I wouldn't have those pains as a spirit either.

If I remained as a spirit I wouldn't have the joys of having a body. What of the concept that we can only experience pleasure as a direct result of being acquainted with pain? If you remove pain from the equation would an eternity of time stretching before us make us eventually forget about the pains and thus ultimately forget pleasures as well? How is that any different from life as a spirit?

Am I talking myself into a belief of reincarnation? :think:

So I find myself wondering, where did the desire to have a continued corporal existence come from? A lack of imagination that consciousness can exist independent of a body; fear of an unknown, a desire to put everything back together just as it is now (except without all that illness stuff); to be able to procreate/populate, I'd venture that entities with bodies beget entities with bodies, entities of spirits beget entities of spirit, but that reflects a limited view; was it added to the narrative of Christ to solidify an argument for life after dead (See, he has a body, a body. It leaves no doubt.), etc.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Mar 2016, 06:15

nibbler wrote:Some of the more recent comments have me questioning why it's so vitally important that we resurrect. When faced with the fear of death I think the main concern is whether or not we retain our consciousness. In LDS doctrine we have the concept of our spirit that retains consciousness, why do we then have the need to return to a body?

Stream of consciousness time:

I've been through some painful physical ailments, I don't want any of that back. The answer, our resurrected bodies are perfect, you won't have those pains. Well I wouldn't have those pains as a spirit either.

If I remained as a spirit I wouldn't have the joys of having a body. What of the concept that we can only experience pleasure as a direct result of being acquainted with pain? If you remove pain from the equation would an eternity of time stretching before us make us eventually forget about the pains and thus ultimately forget pleasures as well? How is that any different from life as a spirit?

Am I talking myself into a belief of reincarnation? :think:

So I find myself wondering, where did the desire to have a continued corporal existence come from? A lack of imagination that consciousness can exist independent of a body; fear of an unknown, a desire to put everything back together just as it is now (except without all that illness stuff); to be able to procreate/populate, I'd venture that entities with bodies beget entities with bodies, entities of spirits beget entities of spirit, but that reflects a limited view; was it added to the narrative of Christ to solidify an argument for life after dead (See, he has a body, a body. It leaves no doubt.), etc.
I had heard of Stephen Webb before but I hadn't really read anything he wrote - I simply recognized him as a Catholic defender of Mormonism. He died this week. While reading the article about his death I was intrigued by some of the stuff he said about physical/spiritual reality and "multiple levels of physical reality." I'm going to do some research on him and this idea, which he apparently got from Joseph Smith. The SL Trib article is here: http://www.sltrib.com/news/lds/3640037- ... te-to-late

So without having looked further into this, is it not possible that the resurrection is on a different level of physical reality than our understanding of our current physical reality? That is, while the resurrection may be physical (and frankly I'm not sure it is), could it be a different physical than we are now? And not trying to go too deep here, because it is speculation, if there are different levels of physical reality are there also different levels of spiritual reality?

Side note: I can also subscribe to the St. Elsewhere ending where we all just part of an autistic kid's imagination. :shock:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 10 Mar 2016, 06:25

That's the beauty of it, imaginations can run wild. :thumbup:
DarkJedi wrote:So without having looked further into this, is it not possible that the resurrection is on a different level of physical reality than our understanding of our current physical reality? That is, while the resurrection may be physical (and frankly I'm not sure it is), could it be a different physical than we are now? And not trying to go too deep here, because it is speculation, if there are different levels of physical reality are there also different levels of spiritual reality?
To me that would imply that:
1) We don't carry knowledge from one physical reality to the next (we lose our consciousness/identities in the process). Kind of a bummer.
2) This is the first physical reality.
DarkJedi wrote:Side note: I can also subscribe to the St. Elsewhere ending where we all just part of an autistic kid's imagination. :shock:
In college I was hanging out with some inebriated buddies (I had just joined the church so this crazy comment was all me, no alcohol) and I mentioned, "the universe is probably just a quark inside a pool ball on a big billiards table." They got a kick out of it. Men in Black came out several years later. I still wonder whether someone responsible for that movie overheard me. ;)
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 10 Mar 2016, 16:22

nibbler, the more I think about it, the more I talk myself into some kind of reincarnation, too! Whenever I get to that realization again, I usually just laugh and then shrug it off because after that I have no idea what to do or think.

As to the multiple/first dimensions of physicality, after the movie Interstellar came out, my friend sent my this video. I believe it's part 1 of 2, but it's a nice visual for a typically abstract concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons