The KJV Bible Sucks [I repented of this]

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
On Own Now

Re: The KJV Bible Sucks [I repented of this]

Post by On Own Now » 02 Jan 2014, 11:56

This is a great thread on whether to use the KJV or something else. In order to separate out the discussion of the 'or something else', I've created a new thread that intends not to be a discussion for or against the KJV, but only to talk about alternatives:

viewtopic.php?t=4995
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 12 Oct 2016, 09:56

President Uchtdorf quoted the New International Version (NIV) four times in a talk at Women's Conference!

Check out the References:

2. Hebrews 11:1, New International Version (1984).
3. 1 Corinthians 2:14, New International Version (2011).
12. Hebrews 11:6, New International Version (1984).
14. Deuteronomy 1:11, New International Version (2011).

mom3

Post by mom3 » 12 Oct 2016, 12:32

President Uchtdorf quoted the New International Version (NIV) four times in a talk at Women's Conference!

Check out the References:

2. Hebrews 11:1, New International Version (1984).
3. 1 Corinthians 2:14, New International Version (2011).
12. Hebrews 11:6, New International Version (1984).
14. Deuteronomy 1:11, New International Version (2011).
Great catch Shawn. I love when this happens. Chieko Okazaki often did it when she spoke. Most members won't catch it, which is too bad, but we can use it and reference back to them. Makes me happy.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 16 Oct 2016, 07:17

The Net Bible is great. The printed version comes in two versions .. the larger one has amazing footnotes.

The app Blue Letter Bible lets me read two different versions of scripture side by side .. so KJV and NIV or NET. It really helps with understanding without losing the poetry of KJV.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.