Church news release on race

Public forum to discuss questions about Mormon history and doctrine.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Church news release on race

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Mar 2012, 08:08

Wouldn't a simple apology and acknowledgment of wrong doing be much more effective?

Absolutely - through a personal message delivered live by a leader in General Conference, not in a press release.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 29 Mar 2012, 09:59

Ray Degraw wrote:
Wouldn't a simple apology and acknowledgment of wrong doing be much more effective?

Absolutely - through a personal message delivered live by a leader in General Conference, not in a press release.
They've had 65 chances to do so, and it hasn't happened yet.

Be interesting if we have anything to add to this thread three days from now.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 29 Mar 2012, 15:22

I agree CWald. I will be listening to see if something is said about the ban.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 30 Mar 2012, 05:33

Don't hold your breath.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 08 Jun 2012, 12:30

This helped me immensely: https://byustudies.byu.edu/images/webPage/pdfIcon.jpg <------- Don't use this

EDIT: Oh flip, a PDF icon is not helpful! Here's the real link: https://byustudies.byu.edu/articleDownl ... 84dcd9.pdf

cwald

Post by cwald » 08 Jun 2012, 13:10

Shawn wrote:This helped me immensely: https://byustudies.byu.edu/images/webPage/pdfIcon.jpg <------- Don't use this

EDIT: Oh flip, a PDF icon is not helpful! Here's the real link: https://byustudies.byu.edu/articleDownl ... 84dcd9.pdf
I read all 75 pages. It didn't make me feel any better.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jun 2012, 14:11

Honestly, Shawn, I've read volumes about the ban over multiple decades, talked with numerous people (black and white and everything else) and know what I think and how I feel about it. It would take something straight from heaven to make me feel "good" in any way about it or change my overall perspective at this point.

If the info in that link helps you, wonderful - and I mean that. Just realize it won't have the same effect for everyone else.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 08 Jun 2012, 15:02

If the info in that link helps you, wonderful - and I mean that. Just realize it won't have the same effect for everyone else.
Yes, I suppose it won't have the same effect on everyone. I hope it helps someone, though. It's a tough issue.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jun 2012, 17:03

It's a tough issue.

Amen. That it is.