Prophets Superseding and Contradictions

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Prophets Superseding and Contradictions

Post by Old-Timer » 03 Apr 2021, 09:59

It isn't true, but it is important to people with sharp, black-and-white views who need consistency and infallibility.

If I was in the room during a lesson when someone said that, I would feel the need to say something - but I have enough "standing" in my ward to do so without any real risk, so I don't believe everyone should speak up in real time. I probably would say something (in a soft, gentle voice) like:
"We believe in on-going revelation and further light and knowledge. I love that we don't have to believe everything we used to believe - that we can understand better and better as time moves on and more is revealed. Eternal progression is one of my favorite aspects of the Restored Gospel, and I appreciate people, even prophets, teaching what they were capable of understanding in their days. I love Elder Uchtdorf's statement a few years ago that the Restoration is not a one-time event but rather an on-going process - which means we can let go of the incorrect traditions of our own ancestors and receive on-ongoing revelation."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken