Thoughts and Prayers During a Difficult Time

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Re: Thoughts and Prayers During a Difficult Time

Post by mom3 » 07 Apr 2020, 11:18

Mom, how is your daughter doing?
Kate, thanks for asking. We crossed the first week point on Sunday. She can't taste or smell anything. And the cough is a killer. We are learning to count new blessings every day. The top one is - no fever. Every day she isn't hospitalized is a gift. We take turns on vigil with her. Social Media is a huge gift. We sometimes just sit and watch her breathe. It actually helps her sleep a bit.

We have always been a close connected family, but this has thrown us into overdrive. Her sister, Daughter1, gets ready for work every day - and is online with her while she is doing it. We check in with each other daily, especially with Daughter1 still working. I also find I cherish my own health deeper than before.

But our compassion is growing, too. I saw a small clip of local medical staff in scrubs and just burst into tears. The sacrifices they are making are incredible. I always appreciated medical helpers but now it's sooo much more.

Her "healed" date is scheduled for the 13th. We will know more then. Fingers are triple crossed.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 07 Apr 2020, 16:02

Mom3: I'm so sorry. That's the roughest thing, worse than being sick oneself.

My update. Nobody sick, thank goodness, but our business has taken a 40-50% hit on revenues. If we can obtain an SBA Loan (the forgivable ones), I won't have to lay off staff (which I really don't want to do). We already put everyone out working from home 3 weeks ago to limit interactions, and we have also done some things for our customers to keep them safe. It's just a huge hit to absorb in what was on track to be our biggest month ever, and given the seasonality in AZ, we rely on spring to get us financially through the rest of the year, so this is a hit that will keep hurting us until next spring.

kate5

Post by kate5 » 07 Apr 2020, 21:22

Mom3- I'm so glad that you can still connect with your daughter over social media and that it is reassuring for you and her. It is also good news to hear that she doesn't have a fever. I hope by the 13th she is feeling much better and you can breathe a sigh of relief. I am also so grateful for healthcare workers, grocery store workers and all of those who still have to go out and work during this time.

Hawgirl- I'm sorry your business is suffering. This is such a hard time for everyone.

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Apr 2020, 21:50

My employer is closed. I have been furloughed. I had hoped to use my sick leave during the closure (I have accumulated a large amount over the years) but that is not possible. I am registered for unemployment now. I suspect that my employer foresees a cash flow problem on the horizon. How can they continue to pay the essential staff or let everyone file for sick leave if there is no real income to speak of?

My employer is not one that would ever really close permanently but getting from where we are now to reopening day might require a cash infusion from somewhere.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 12 Apr 2020, 06:10

Roy, I'm sorry to hear that. Stay safe & know that this to will pass. Easy to say, I know.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Apr 2020, 05:44

Good luck Roy. My husband had to let his team go. It was really tough.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 13 Apr 2020, 10:33

Thanks everyone. I know things are difficult all over. Hugs to you all in your individual struggles.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 14 Apr 2020, 10:51

mom3 wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 11:18
Her "healed" date is scheduled for the 13th. We will know more then. Fingers are triple crossed.
How are things?
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 Apr 2020, 16:56

It has been interesting to observe from a distance, the varying degrees of leadership in our Country. I'm not going to get into politics.
There are good & bad at all levels of our government. City, county, state & federal government. You can get into the military leadership too.
They can be ranked from exceptional to total incompetence. I'm sorry to say.

As I've said in another post: Don't forget to vote. (We will be hearing that a lot in the coming days, weeks & months.)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Apr 2020, 19:23

I am fortunate to have a job that is considered essential, due to my employer and client base, with very little chance of reduced hours.

Virtual hugs for everyone.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken