Thoughts and Prayers During a Difficult Time

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Thoughts and Prayers During a Difficult Time

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2020, 20:49

My wife has been furloughed from her job until at least July 1st, which made me realize we don't have a thread here to process the impact of COVID-19 on us and support each other in a uniquely difficult time.

No pressure or expectations. If you need to vent or emote in any way, this a thread for that.

God bless us, one and all.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: Thoughts and Prayers During a Difficult Time

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Apr 2020, 04:23

Sadly Curt I think unemployment and personal financial impact are more of an "unseen" problem with the current crisis. Perhaps that aspect could be more the focus of prayer and fasting on our part as opposed to "ending the pandemic" which will run its course naturally. It may take much longer to recover from the other aspects of the crisis.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Apr 2020, 07:23

Great thoughts. For me the Covid19 is too real as a health issue. Not until April 13 or 14 will that change. I do get the financial worry. In reality it's all bound up. And don't get me started on the 8 states that haven't shut down. Utah being one of them. The longer they are open, the longer the world has to wait to heal. And healing embodies employment, stability, etc.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 06 Apr 2020, 07:55

Great idea. I need to do something more positive.

Don't forget about the lost educational opportunities. This could delay graduations for future Doctors & Nurses.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 06 Apr 2020, 09:22

Conspiracy theories abound surrounding this pandemic, not citing any of your posts specifically, just an observation of talk I am hearing all over.

In Southern California it is calm after the panic over tp, and the stores are back to stocked shelves mostly. Wondering what life will be like next year when this strain of flu comes around again, as all flu does in a different form.

We are working with half income, some of my kids currently are running fevers and self isolating in their homes.

I have a feeling this will take longer to be back to normal than a few weeks, not the financial impact but that the health concerns will manifest for longer than expected.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Apr 2020, 10:33

Not enough people in my area are practicing staying at home. I can hear the highway from my house. It certainly isn't the empty street you see in memes. I'm sure volume is down, but there's never a second gap in vehicles passing my house.

Every day we don't practice staying at home and social distancing translates to several days of not getting back to normal on the back end. I expect to be staying at home through the summer, perhaps longer.

I may have asked this in other threads, if so sorry for the repeat...

Eventually church will reopen for Sunday services and temples will reopen. Opening for business is one thing, feeling comfortable enough to attend is another.

To be honest, I think our church is taking things more seriously than other churches, I don't want to get into that, I only want to say that I think church will be cautious and not attempt to rush to reopen.

I was curious about people's plans. People here and plans you may have overheard. Will people go back as soon as the church gives the green light, or do people have their own metrics for personal green lights? If so, what are your/their metrics? Won't go back until there's a vaccine?

I'd be curious. One of my concerns is that historically church was my #2 vector for getting sick, #1 being a kid bringing back something from school. Historically some sick people have prioritized church attendance over not infecting others - I expect this behavior to change. Then there's the whole asymptomatic thing, people infecting others before they know they're sick.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Apr 2020, 12:32

nibbler wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 10:33
Eventually church will reopen for Sunday services and temples will reopen. Opening for business is one thing, feeling comfortable enough to attend is another.

To be honest, I think our church is taking things more seriously than other churches, I don't want to get into that, I only want to say that I think church will be cautious and not attempt to rush to reopen.

I was curious about people's plans. People here and plans you may have overheard. Will people go back as soon as the church gives the green light, or do people have their own metrics for personal green lights? If so, what are your/their metrics? Won't go back until there's a vaccine?

I'd be curious. One of my concerns is that historically church was my #2 vector for getting sick, #1 being a kid bringing back something from school. Historically some sick people have prioritized church attendance over not infecting others - I expect this behavior to change. Then there's the whole asymptomatic thing, people infecting others before they know they're sick.
I have given this a bit of thought because I expected there might be some chance of an announcement this past weekend about opening for Easter. Before this all began there was another "come and see...come and stay" initiative underway with Easter as the focus (another "special Christ centered sacrament meeting" had been ordered). This was reflected in a couple GC talks, particularly DFU's. I'm glad no such direction was given because it would make the choice tougher for me because of spousal pressure and because I do like Easter and my ward has historically done OK with Easter. Today our governor extended our stay home through at least the end of the month, so I have at least until then to think about it.

The answer to your question for me is I'm not sure I will rush back when we're "permitted." I think social distancing is working, but I don't think this disease is going to be totally gone at the end of this month or next or the next one after that (or this year or next). I am not as optimistic as you are about church people changing and not coming to church if they're sick (full disclosure, I have done this myself) or that they (and people in general) are all that concerned about spreading a disease they don't know they have. My wife, an RN mind you, likely will rush back and be eager to teach her Primary class. Maybe we can ease back in and have only SM for a couple weeks or more? I know it be difficult for some wards, but ours could practice a fair amount of social distancing because we're a small ward in a big building. That would be more difficult if we had second hour.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 06 Apr 2020, 14:08

It's been too close for me. Social distancing may be a norm for a while. I don't really care what anyone thinks. I have had such a life flip inside. It's not just church. It's everything.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 06 Apr 2020, 14:42

I live in a sparsely populated area (only a handful of identified cases) and so the virus doesn't seem too close to me. No one I know has come down with it (at least as far as I know). I'm very grateful that both my wife and I still have our jobs. On the negative side, we went from having one child at home (a senior in high school) to having my two college-aged children return. So all five of us are here either working from home or taking classes from home. It has required a high degree of mutual toleration and while my kids have been about as good as they could possibly be, it still take its toll.

But I try to count my blessings. Our income is basically unchanged and while my parents and mother-in-law are definitely in the high risk group, right now their chance of contracting the virus where we live is relatively low. The weather is nice outside and it's easy to go for a walk and not run into people.

My prayers are definitely with those who are have far greater struggles than I have
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---

kate5

Post by kate5 » 06 Apr 2020, 17:41

Mom, how is your daughter doing?