Am I on the Road to Apostasy?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SunbeltRed

Re: Am I on the Road to Apostasy?

Post by SunbeltRed » 08 Sep 2017, 10:08

It's all relative I guess. Compared to me you sound like a true believer :smile:

Roy

Post by Roy » 11 Sep 2017, 09:49

Curt Sunshine wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 14:22
You are on your path. Where it takes you is up to you, to a large extent. So, go where you want to go - and, if you maintain a belief in an interested God, where you think God wants you to go.

May there be a road!
I once saw a video on making positive choices as you go through the stages of grief. I was struck that the stages themselves are pretty well fixed. You do not get to choose to skip steps or take a shortcut. The positive choices were more or less to not close yourself off to allow your support group to be part of the process.

Extrapolating from the stages of grief to the "stages of life" - perhaps we have less choice than we would like to believe.

One way to deal with this from an LDS perspective is the parable of the currant bush. https://www.lds.org/new-era/1973/01/the ... h?lang=eng

Perhaps God has a purpose for the ups and downs of this life that will not be revealed until after it is all over. There can be some measure of peace in accepting one's path...IOW change what can be changed, accept what can't, and wisdom to distinguish. Interestingly the final stage of grief is known as "acceptance."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 11 Sep 2017, 18:20

I would agree on the stages, but they are not one after another like in a tight series. Lots of bouncing between a few before you can get through them. Ignoring one either comes back with a vengeance like a child saying, "you played with my brother more than me" or causes issues elsewhere.

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Sep 2017, 09:27

I agree LH, The point that I am trying to make is that something other than your conscious mind is determining where to go and how long to spend there and then to revisit something that you thought was already addressed. Maybe it is your subconscious, maybe it is your emotional state, maybe it is God/Jesus "takin' the wheel". It makes me wonder how much of my life decisions are my conscious mind building a mental framework for where my heart wants to go.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Sep 2017, 11:32

Pardon my (usual) lack of not joking about certain things

dande48

Post by dande48 » 12 Sep 2017, 12:02

Haha! Love it, LH.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 14 Sep 2017, 13:54

Negativity, anger, frustration... these are reactions to something. I have learned over many years that it's better to not to be reactive, but rather to seek my own beliefs and live them as best I can. By that I mean that I no longer define myself by what I am not, but what I am. Though I'm far from perfect in this regard, there's not much reason for me to feel negativity, anger, or frustration toward the Church, because I have come to a point where I alone am responsible for what I believe. I see the Church as an environment, not a charter.

Similarly, apostasy is a comparison to something outside of myself. It is impossible for one who fully owns his/her own beliefs to be an apostate.

But now for the kicker... how to get from feelings of negativity, anger, frustration to a point where we are at peace...

The advice I usually give is to hold true to what you believe in. Not what you believe, but what you believe in. Then let what you believe follow. What you believe may be in conflict with what the Church believes, but what you believe in will help guide your path toward the person you want to be... and it is hard to be in conflict with the Church when we are just trying to find a meaningful, fulfilled life.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

DancingCarrot

Post by DancingCarrot » 14 Sep 2017, 20:45

On Own Now wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:54
Similarly, apostasy is a comparison to something outside of myself. It is impossible for one who fully owns his/her own beliefs to be an apostate.

But now for the kicker... how to get from feelings of negativity, anger, frustration to a point where we are at peace...

The advice I usually give is to hold true to what you believe in. Not what you believe, but what you believe in. Then let what you believe follow. What you believe may be in conflict with what the Church believes, but what you believe in will help guide your path toward the person you want to be... and it is hard to be in conflict with the Church when we are just trying to find a meaningful, fulfilled life.
Absolutely, OON. You put it eloquently, and I especially love and believe in the parts in bold.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. -Dumbledore

Roll away your stone, I'll roll away mine. Together we can see what we will find. -Mumford & Sons

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 29 Sep 2017, 16:24

Apostasy is relative.

One could probably say that Jesus was apostate.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 29 Sep 2017, 17:07

The concept of apostasy, as it's understood in the Church, is a way to label and "other" those who think too differently or act outside of accepted norms or against authority. Calling someone an apostate allows the in-group to define itself more clearly in terms of what it is not. It also serves to exert pressure on the in-group to conform.

Screw that. I didn't even like thinking in those terms when I was all-in. It's so high school.
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.