I Feel My Life is Over

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
nibbler

Re: I Feel My Life is Over

Post by nibbler » 28 Jan 2017, 19:06

:thumbup:
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jan 2017, 19:40

I am so glad to hear! I am trying to help a friend that is suffering from depression and they just don't want to go see a therapist. I am glad you found one that is good.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 28 Jan 2017, 22:08

Joyful tears of relief over here.

Congratulations. May it last a long time.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Roy

Post by Roy » 29 Jan 2017, 12:44

That is great news Shawn. Sounds like this guy might just have the perspective to understand where you are coming from.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Feb 2017, 19:45

It is impossible to express how glad I am to have read this.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 03 Feb 2017, 16:14

Great news, Shawn! I hope you can find some much needed relief to your pain.
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 03 Feb 2017, 16:52

Shawn wrote:Hey, everyone! I miss you.

Guess what. I found a therapist and I've seen him three times. It took only a few days after I called to make an appointment to get in to see him. I thinks it's doing some good.

He's an active LDS guy, but he's a bit unorthodox and the profile on his website says:
He especially enjoys working with: ...religious issues, faith transitions & crises...and issues related to multiculturalism/diversity (race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.). And he is a straight LGBTQ ally.
It's still a little weird because I want to say some very negative things about the church, Joseph Smith, and other things but I hold myself back. I think it's going to work out, though.
Good - this man will be able to see both sides of this matter.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."