Correlation strikes again

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Ann

Re: Correlation strikes again

Post by Ann » 09 Aug 2016, 16:17

I enjoyed the Wheat and Tares overview.

Mrs. Superchicken, how did the lesson go?
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Mrs. SuperChicken

Post by Mrs. SuperChicken » 11 Aug 2016, 04:24

Sorry it took so long to get back, life happens.

First of all I sent out an email on Saturday to the RS with a link to the original just said it was more in depth and helped me understand the lesson better. A couple of people emailed me back and said they loved it. The email group admin then sent out that we were going to use a different lesson with a new link, but the teacher stuck with the first, so everyone was confused.

The lesson started really hostile, I don't think it was meant to be it just felt that way to me. Everyone was sharing their thoughts about how the church made them feel empowered including that if you did not feel that way your character and testimony was lacking. I responded that I loved all the testimonies that people had, but what if you did not feel that way, how did all of you gain such beautiful thoughts about being a woman in the church. After a quiet tense moment people started to talk, some used parts of the original presentation without saying where it came from.

That really changed the tone of the lesson, one sister even shared a time when she had been hurt by a priesthood member and other women helped her through it against the leader's wishes. She talked about how that was empowering that a woman could follow the spirit and not just the church leaders :o

There were several people that were not happy with the turn of the lesson and tried to get back to how we should be happy with what we have and stop wanting more, but it did not stick. One sister brought up that there was a revelation that in the last days the greatest opposition to the truth would come from within the church while staring at me. I nodded and said I had heard that and I could see it happening. :lolno:

It was really good. Not something that ever happens in my RS where the favorite topic is exact obedience and how the outside world is evil.

I don't usually say anything, but I did not have to say very much, I guess there were a few other people that felt the same. I was so GREAT to hear from everyone here and discuss this ahead of time. Without all of the great ideas and support here I would have gone into the lesson just as mad as when I first read it. And that has not worked well in the past.

If you do this, we'll let you drop the "Chicken" part of your moniker and you'll just be "Mrs Super" to us! :lolno:
:thumbup:

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Aug 2016, 05:24

That's pretty cool. Thanks for all your efforts in generating some discussion in your class and in sharing your experiences here.
Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.
— Hippocrates

Always Thinking

Post by Always Thinking » 11 Aug 2016, 07:19

Did the other women on here have this lesson? Because I saw this post last week and was interested to see how the lesson went because I figured it depended on who was teaching. It turned out the person who was teaching instead taught about the attitude of gratitude and never interjected anything about womanhood into it, just gratitude in general. The woman who taught the lesson is from the south and has some sass so I wonder if she saw the lesson plan and said 'screw that' and taught something else haha so was anyone else not given this lesson?

Ann

Post by Ann » 11 Aug 2016, 08:47

(I wasn't in there, but I know our R.S. didn't have this lesson.)

Mrs. Super, Thanks! It's interesting to hear how it all unfolded. I wonder if it will help your R.S. have better lessons going forward.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 11 Aug 2016, 09:18

Always Thinking wrote:Did the other women on here have this lesson? Because I saw this post last week and was interested to see how the lesson went because I figured it depended on who was teaching. It turned out the person who was teaching instead taught about the attitude of gratitude and never interjected anything about womanhood into it, just gratitude in general. The woman who taught the lesson is from the south and has some sass so I wonder if she saw the lesson plan and said 'screw that' and taught something else haha so was anyone else not given this lesson?
First Sunday lessons are at the discretion of the presidency of the organization (PH, RS). So there is no churchwide correlated message. That doesn't mean other wards couldn't have had the same lesson, but it greatly reduces the likelihood, especially on a "controversial" topic.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 11 Aug 2016, 10:01

Mrs. Super - This maybe the best line of the day.
One sister brought up that there was a revelation that in the last days the greatest opposition to the truth would come from within the church while staring at me. I nodded and said I had heard that and I could see it happening. :lolno:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman