Handout to assist people who have questions and doubts

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DBMormon

Handout to assist people who have questions and doubts

Post by DBMormon » 30 Apr 2016, 14:07

A few days ago a ward handout to assist those with questions was leaked. Here is an improved revised edition. Please feel free to share this with wards and stake leadership. This, rather than keep the uninformed comfortable, is designed to dig into the trenches with those who are questioning and have doubts. Link below the image

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/ ... ANDOUT.pdf**********************

LookingHard

Re: Handout to assist people who have questions and doubts

Post by LookingHard » 30 Apr 2016, 15:27

At my first quick reading, I generally like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 May 2016, 04:28

I generally like it now, but I'm not sure I would have liked it at the beginning or height of by faith crisis and transition. If it's helpful to some people - even one - then that's great.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

FaithfulSkeptic

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 01 May 2016, 08:47

This is interesting. I saw an earlier version of this handout and didn't care for it much. Below is the version I saw:

https://archive.org/stream/310765920LDS ... 0/mode/2up

I'll admit, I read through it quickly at first, but I didn't like it very much. For example, under Sources, it used to say:
Sources -- Carefully consider where the information being presented is coming from. Who is the author/speaker and what is their relationship to the Church? Where are they getting their information? Be cautious of "wolves in sheep's clothing", who profess to be committed to Mormonism or to have a desire to help Church members, but in actuality have an agenda that detracts from the faith in Jesus Christ and the restored gospel (Matt 7:15).
This was changed significantly in the version DB posted:
SOURCES – Carefully consider the information you are reading. Many sources are witness accounts written years later and may be affected by one’s memory. Also, some details are only found in one source which should give us pause. People on both sides may find certain sources to be untrustworthy due to the bias of the person writing or collecting the information, and so we should spend time studying to know which sources are reliable. In the end, one should not deem all non-Mormon sources as false, nor should one see all “believing” sources as having the best answers. Instead, facts and critical analysis should be weighed by their merit and the strength of their argument, and should be balanced by prayer and spiritual study with an eye single to the glory of God.
At first, I thought I was reading a new document and couldn't figure out why I liked this one so much better. I actually think there is a lot to like in this "adapted" handout. The main points are the same, but I like the explanations much better.

Here's another one that I particularly like (emphasis added):
4.) STAY GROUNDED IN CHRIST AND COVENANTS: Ultimately the Gospel is about our relationship with the Savior, and it is the Church’s responsibility to point us to Christ. The Church being constituted of flawed members is flawed itself. One of the assumptions that must change is a view that the Church is perfect, or near it. The Church is flawed and at times deeply. This is because we are imperfect and we are the body of Christ. Consider for a moment that by the Church being deeply flawed, it actually does its job and points us to Christ. The imperfect Church inspires us to let go of it as our foundation and instead build upon Christ. It essentially says, “I will let you down, I may hurt you, and I will certainly disappoint you. I am not the Rock. Christ is the Rock. Look past me to Him. I am simply here to show the way, which is Christ.”
Whoever made these changes to the original (DB?), Thank you! A big improvement to the original version.
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 May 2016, 12:17

I like this mucho. Very helpful and balanced.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 01 May 2016, 12:30

[Admin Note]:

"Leaked"

What is the source?

Whether we like it or not, we need to know the sources of things that are posted here. (I am not asking for a specific ward name, nor am I asking for a person's name. I trust you to tell us enough about the source to know if it can be posted here - especially as a "leaked" document.)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 01 May 2016, 12:59

The document has the following at the bottom.
Adapted from an original handout written by C.J. Sorenson of the Richmond 2nd Ward
I am assuming that "leaked" is not the best term for this. I am guessing that it was handed out in church (possibly in just a single ward) and then someone posted it to the internet. I also assume that it was DB that made the revisions.

DB, Please correct me if I am off base on any of this.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 01 May 2016, 13:59

FaithfulSkeptic wrote:This is interesting. I saw an earlier version of this handout and didn't care for it much. Below is the version I saw:

https://archive.org/stream/310765920LDS ... 0/mode/2up

I'll admit, I read through it quickly at first, but I didn't like it very much. For example, under Sources, it used to say:
Sources -- Carefully consider where the information being presented is coming from. Who is the author/speaker and what is their relationship to the Church? Where are they getting their information? Be cautious of "wolves in sheep's clothing", who profess to be committed to Mormonism or to have a desire to help Church members, but in actuality have an agenda that detracts from the faith in Jesus Christ and the restored gospel (Matt 7:15).
This was changed significantly in the version DB posted:
SOURCES – Carefully consider the information you are reading. Many sources are witness accounts written years later and may be affected by one’s memory. Also, some details are only found in one source which should give us pause. People on both sides may find certain sources to be untrustworthy due to the bias of the person writing or collecting the information, and so we should spend time studying to know which sources are reliable. In the end, one should not deem all non-Mormon sources as false, nor should one see all “believing” sources as having the best answers. Instead, facts and critical analysis should be weighed by their merit and the strength of their argument, and should be balanced by prayer and spiritual study with an eye single to the glory of God.
At first, I thought I was reading a new document and couldn't figure out why I liked this one so much better. I actually think there is a lot to like in this "adapted" handout. The main points are the same, but I like the explanations much better.

Here's another one that I particularly like (emphasis added):
4.) STAY GROUNDED IN CHRIST AND COVENANTS: Ultimately the Gospel is about our relationship with the Savior, and it is the Church’s responsibility to point us to Christ. The Church being constituted of flawed members is flawed itself. One of the assumptions that must change is a view that the Church is perfect, or near it. The Church is flawed and at times deeply. This is because we are imperfect and we are the body of Christ. Consider for a moment that by the Church being deeply flawed, it actually does its job and points us to Christ. The imperfect Church inspires us to let go of it as our foundation and instead build upon Christ. It essentially says, “I will let you down, I may hurt you, and I will certainly disappoint you. I am not the Rock. Christ is the Rock. Look past me to Him. I am simply here to show the way, which is Christ.”
Whoever made these changes to the original (DB?), Thank you! A big improvement to the original version.
I am the author of the 2nd and not the first. You are right it is a very different document.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 01 May 2016, 14:02

Roy wrote:The document has the following at the bottom.
Adapted from an original handout written by C.J. Sorenson of the Richmond 2nd Ward
I am assuming that "leaked" is not the best term for this. I am guessing that it was handed out in church (possibly in just a single ward) and then someone posted it to the internet. I also assume that it was DB that made the revisions.

DB, Please correct me if I am off base on any of this.
It was leaked in the sense that a person in the ward released it before the author wanted it public. He has said there were yet revisions to be made

flameburns623

Post by flameburns623 » 01 May 2016, 14:42

Do you have permission for the article? I believe the original was done by a Sorensen?