Returning to the Temple

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
LDSThomas

Returning to the Temple

Post by LDSThomas » 11 Jan 2014, 16:28

It's been a year or more since I went to the temple. I'll be going again in the next few weeks. I am definitely in a much different place spiritually than I was last time I went -- eyes wide open now, questioning, exploring and redefining (in some instances) every aspect of my personal beliefs, the church, and my relationship to it, etc.

Any insights on how to best experience the temple when working through a faith transition? Any articles or resources you'd recommend?

Thanks --
LDSThomas

Daeruin

Re: Returning to the Temple

Post by Daeruin » 11 Jan 2014, 19:51

I would also be interested to see the responses to this. Yesterday, for the first time in 13 years, I thought about maybe trying to go back to the temple. Not sure it will happen, but I actually have hope that it might be. I'm also wondering if the actual temple recommend interview questions can be found anywhere?
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 11 Jan 2014, 21:41

I know the ceremony well enough at this point to not pay attention to the words and, instead, simply let my mind open up and contemplate whatever hits me in the stillness. Sometimes, I go with a specific question in mind and think about that question; sometimes, I have nothing pre-planned to consider and I just let my mind drift to whatever hits me at the time.

My only stipulation is that I make my time there positive, so I don't let myself dwell on anything negative.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Jan 2014, 08:13

Old-Timer wrote:My only stipulation is that I make my time there positive, so I don't let myself dwell on anything negative.
Ray makes a great point here - it's a lot about attitude. To some extent we get what we expect out of any experience. If we go expecting a negative experience, that's pretty much what we'll get. This is not a carved in stone principle, it is very possible to have a negative experience when expecting a positive and vice versa, but our own attitude and willingness to put in some effort has much to do with it.

That said, I also haven't been to the temple in some time and actually set that as a goal this year. I don't have trepidation in going back since I've always seen most there as very symbolic and I like the symbolism. I like Ray's idea of going in with an open mind.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 14 Jan 2014, 14:54

DarkJedi wrote:
Old-Timer wrote:My only stipulation is that I make my time there positive, so I don't let myself dwell on anything negative.
Ray makes a great point here - it's a lot about attitude. To some extent we get what we expect out of any experience. If we go expecting a negative experience, that's pretty much what we'll get. This is not a carved in stone principle, it is very possible to have a negative experience when expecting a positive and vice versa, but our own attitude and willingness to put in some effort has much to do with it.

That said, I also haven't been to the temple in some time and actually set that as a goal this year. I don't have trepidation in going back since I've always seen most there as very symbolic and I like the symbolism. I like Ray's idea of going in with an open mind.
I can't remember ever having a bad or negative experience in the temple. My experiences have ranged from "neutral" (perhaps dare I say a little bored) to "wonderful" -- I actually have grown to like the "predictableness" of the endowment ceremony -- ironic because the "predictableness" of the Sunday block is driving me nuts! Go figure.

I also see it as symbolic, DarkJedi -- and have never gotten hung up on any of the questions related to literal or figurative. I assume its all symbolic.

Ray, I like the "whatever hits me in the stillness" idea -- there have been times that my mind has wandered and wondered -- and I felt I was better for the experience.

Boredom shouldn't be a problem -- at least for a little while. Another new temple movie is being used beginning today -- so that makes 2 new temple movies I haven't yet seen, but will be seeing soon.

I've actually missed the temple. I like going alone (not on a ward night, not when temple-worker friends are working, etc.) when I know that the experience -- for the most part -- will be just me and God (when I can find Him there). I also like going with my wife, but it's different than when I go completely alone.

Thanks for the responses.

LDSThomas

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Jan 2014, 09:27

Apparently there's a new film...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 15 Jan 2014, 09:33

SamBee wrote:Apparently there's a new film...
Yes, there are now 2 new films. The one that came out a few months ago (August, I believe) and a new, new one that they started showing yesterday.

LDSThomas

Joni

Post by Joni » 15 Jan 2014, 09:55

LDSThomas wrote:
SamBee wrote:Apparently there's a new film...
Yes, there are now 2 new films. The one that came out a few months ago (August, I believe) and a new, new one that they started showing yesterday.

LDSThomas
Are both films being used or did one replace the other? I'm curious!

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 15 Jan 2014, 10:11

LDSThomas wrote: Any insights on how to best experience the temple when working through a faith transition? Any articles or resources you'd recommend?
I had a great experience one time when I simply cleared my mind of any expectation and tried to channel some of the attitudes and perspectives of the early saints in Nauvoo. It was really amazing, one of the peaks of my life. I feel like in that moment I came to understand the early saints in a way I never had. I don't have any specific book to recommend, I would just say the more on that early period the better. But on the other hand this angle may not be for everyone.

The podcast with Greg Kearney may have been on my mind at the time: http://mormonstories.org/mormon-stories ... g-kearney/
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Old-Timer
Site Admin

Post by Old-Timer » 15 Jan 2014, 11:31

I am trying to go soon, so I will see if they show the newest version (which I haven't seen, if it just was released).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken