Returning to the Temple

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
LDSThomas

Re: Returning to the Temple

Post by LDSThomas » 15 Jan 2014, 12:53

Orson wrote:
LDSThomas wrote: Any insights on how to best experience the temple when working through a faith transition? Any articles or resources you'd recommend?
I had a great experience one time when I simply cleared my mind of any expectation and tried to channel some of the attitudes and perspectives of the early saints in Nauvoo. It was really amazing, one of the peaks of my life. I feel like in that moment I came to understand the early saints in a way I never had. I don't have any specific book to recommend, I would just say the more on that early period the better. But on the other hand this angle may not be for everyone.

The podcast with Greg Kearney may have been on my mind at the time: http://mormonstories.org/mormon-stories ... g-kearney/
Orson:

Thanks for sharing that experience and for linking to that podcast. I'll check it out.

LDSThomas

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 15 Jan 2014, 13:41

Joni wrote:
Are both films being used or did one replace the other? I'm curious!
Joni:

There are now 3 movies in use in the temple --

1. The April 1990 movie -- (aka "Michael Ballam as Satan") -- This one is currently used (only?) if someone in a session needs translation because the 2013/2014 films were/are available in English only. (See #2 -- this may have just changed). I supposed in non-English speaking temples, this is still the primary film in use, as well.

2. The Summer 2013 movie -- (aka "Corbin Allred as Satan" film). It is appox. 12 minutes longer than the April 1990 movie (to accommodate for eventual translation issues -- some languages take longer to convey the same message so there are pauses in the dialogue in the film) and until recently has only been available in English. I have heard that it is now available in Spanish and possibly 1 or 2 other languages, but I can not confirm that for sure.

3. The January 2014 movie -- Just released yesterday. My understanding is that this one is still English-only.

It is also my understanding that #2 and #3 is being used in all English speaking temples equally, unless translation is needed, then #1 is used. Eventually, when the new ones are translated into all temple languages, #1 will be discontinued. Also, I have heard that there is at least one more new temple movie that will be released sometime in the "near" (?) future but I cannot confirm that for sure.

Footnote: There were 2 films produced in the 1990s. The "Michael Ballam as Satan" film is the one still in use. The other one (which was the 2nd one released in the 90s -- the "Derryl Yeager as Satan" film -- he was the George-Michael-with-blonde-hair Satan) :D was changed a few years ago to "photoshop" out the face of one of the apostles (John). (As a result of some real-life drama involving the actor portraying John). The photoshop job was amazing and I doubt most people noticed it. After using it for a while, however, temples discontinued using that version completely and the Michael Ballam film was the only one in use until August 2013.

I know this info is correct as far as the use of films in the temple in my area. However, if anyone has further light and knowledge, please let us know.

EDIT: I changed #2 title from "August 2013" movie to "Summer 2013" movie because I think the actual release date was July 30.
Last edited by LDSThomas on 16 Jan 2014, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

jhp33

Post by jhp33 » 16 Jan 2014, 08:21

LDSThomas wrote:

3. The January 2014 movie -- Just released yesterday. My understanding is that this one is still English-only.

Whoa...this is the first I'm hearing of a new movie as of this month.

Footnote: There were 2 films produced in the 1990s. The "Michael Ballam as Satan" film is the one still in use. The other one (which was the 2nd one released in the 90s -- the "Derryl Yeager as Satan" film -- he was the George-Michael-with-blonde-hair Satan) :D was changed a few years ago to "photoshop" out the face of one of the apostles (John). (As a result of some real-life drama involving the actor portraying John). The photoshop job was amazing and I doubt most people noticed it. After using it for a while, however, temples discontinued using that version completely and the Michael Ballam film was the only one in use until August 2013.
Oh, I totally remember that. The actor in the original was almost middle eastern looking, and they photoshopped the face of a polynesian looking fellow. I remember being in the temple and he showed up and I almost said out loud "What the??? They've photoshopped a new head on John!"

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2014, 10:27

Maybe they should mix them up. It would be good if one was doing two sessions in a row and didn't have to watch the same film twice in a row. Might help keep it fresh.

Very interesting about Michael Ballam. I looked up his website. Why does he have a posh English accent in the film though?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 16 Jan 2014, 10:46

SamBee wrote:Maybe they should mix them up. It would be good if one was doing two sessions in a row and didn't have to watch the same film twice in a row. Might help keep it fresh.

Very interesting about Michael Ballam. I looked up his website. Why does he have a posh English accent in the film though?
I think the plan going forward is to use the 2 new movies (Summer 2013 and January 2014) equally. The April 1990 will be used only when language/translation is an issue. Eventually when all the translation work is done on the 2 new movies, April 1990 will be discontinued. Whether or not another new film comes into play remains to be seen.

LDSThomas

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2014, 10:48

I think they should seriously consider doing an independent version of the Spanish language film, if they haven't already) It must be one of the biggest languages amongst the membership, and it would be nice to have one made in that language, rather than just dubbed into it.

BTW, I note 1990 got leaked onto Youtube recently, so I wonder if that's part of the reasoning.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 16 Jan 2014, 11:01

SamBee wrote:
BTW, I note 1990 got leaked onto Youtube recently, so I wonder if that's part of the reasoning.
It could be -- but with as slow as things work in the church on the institutional level (it seems to me), I would assume that the new films were already in production (or planning stages) before the youtube leak of the temple film -- which I believe happened about 11 months before the Summer 2013 was put into use.

If I were in charge of the temple dept (and, ya' know, I'm not) I would release new movies every 3 years or so -- would probably increase attendance. I'm sure they are not that expensive to produce using mostly volunteer staff and already-existing production facilities, etc.

I also like the idea of temple films using native speakers (and different nationalities) for different languages. Seriously, for an "international" church, I'm really surprised this hasn't happened already.

LDSThomas

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 16 Jan 2014, 11:05

I also like the idea of temple films using native speakers (and different nationalities) for different languages. Seriously, for an "international" church, I'm really surprised this hasn't happened already.
This should be done according to temple attendance amongst the language groups. Spanish and Portuguese must be a definite "yes" in that regard.
It could be -- but with as slow as things work in the church on the institutional level (it seems to me), I would assume that the new films were already in production (or planning stages) before the youtube leak of the temple film -- which I believe happened about 11 months before the Summer 2013 was put into use.
Yes, 1990 is pretty old for a film. I wouldn't go so far as producing one every three years... but every seven years or so might be an option.

I'd also just leave the subtitles on for every performance too. I find them helpful despite not being (very) deaf myself.

Bear

Returning to the Temple

Post by Bear » 17 Jan 2014, 06:37

Why did they make a new version again? Did anything change? Doesn't that mean that they made 2 new movies 6 months apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDSThomas

Post by LDSThomas » 17 Jan 2014, 10:34

Bear wrote:Why did they make a new version again? Did anything change? Doesn't that mean that they made 2 new movies 6 months apart?
In the 2 new movies, I do not think that ANYTHING at all changed in the wording of the temple dialogue or in the actions of the participants or in the covenants, etc. from the 1990 movie. The content in all 3 movies is the same, as well as the 45 minutes of the ceremony following the movie. (Although the 2 new films do allow the actors to "act" -- particularly Adam and Eve -- which possibly puts a slightly different spin on things from the 1990 movie).

Why 2 new versions 6 months apart? This is similiar to what was done with the 1990 films -- 2 movies were released relatively close together (within a year?) and put into rotation -- until the 2nd movie was discontinued for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post.

LDSThomas